Panther Built-in UPS Compatibility... Tripp Lite?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Makosuke, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

Has anybody tried using Tripp Lite's smaller Smart Pro 1000-1500VA UPSes with OSX's built-in UPS management, and if so, does it work?

I was just looking at buying one for an XServe, but they have no OSX-native software, PowerGuardian doesn't support Tripp Lite USB UPSes at all, and I'm not confident that the built-in OSX UPS software will recognize it--I tried hooking up a much beefier 240V rackmount unit to a Mac via one of its USB ports, but no love there.

Shame, since the Tripp Lite is $100 cheaper than a comperable APC unit, which I'm pretty sure will work (my XS 1500 does, anyway). I really wish there was a compatibility list for the built-in support somewhere, but I haven't yet found one.

2. Bear macrumors G3

I would strongly suggest paying the extra for the APC UPS you get what you pay for. And they work nicely with Panther.

3. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Do you use Powerchute with your APC? I just got a new Smart-UPS which has USB (finally).

4. Bear macrumors G3

No, I don't. The built-in UPS handler in Panther does exactly what I want, so why should I bother littering the system with a third party product?

I do know with some of the higher end UPS's you might need APC's software to be able to modify internal settings.

5. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Cool, I agree. I'll try it for a while without the APC program. :)