panther + cd burning issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by excalibur313, Jul 16, 2003.

1. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Has there been any updates as far as applications available for burning cds with panther? Does toast still not work and if so are there other apps i can use that will actually let me burn cds?
    Thanks
    Steve

2. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

panther + toast = not until GM
    GM = approx September

3. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Well i can accept the face that it won't work with toast but what other programs can i use that will work in panther and allow me to burn isos and dmgs?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can burn .dmg file using DiscUtility in Panther.

5. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

There always seem to be burning problems with new versions of the OS. I remember in early Jaguar there were several reported issues with burning, and there was no support for them.

Hang on in there 'til the final release appears.

6. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Okay so I'm sorry for my ignorance but i go into disk utility and then go to Images ->burn... ? When i do that it says the image file is too large but in reality it's only 647mb and I have a 700mb cd. Thanks again!
    Steve

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

manufacturers always say 1mb == 1000kb, 1gb == 1000mb

operating systems say 1mb == 1024kb...

8. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

647*1024=662528

Still way less than 700, so that isn't the problem.

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

still...maybe it's more than you think it is

10. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

You sure its a 700 MB CD? If its a 650, the formatting of the disc itself plus the file size could easily be taking you over 650

11. excalibur313 thread starter macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Okay first of all traditionally image files are larger than the total size of the data they are burning. This is to account for the filing structure which is seperate from the normal advertised capacity of the cd. This is where overburning comes in b/c you can burn in that area normally reserved for file structure.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

A 700 MB CD is 736 819 200 bytes, which works out to 702.7 MB. So CDs use 1024 bytes per kilobyte, not 1000.

Back on topic, make sure your image file isn't compressed. It loses its compression when you write it to CD (a 500 meg CD compressed to 250 will use 500 when written, not 250).

When I downloaded the Neverwinter Nights demo, I simply could not get the image to write to a CD. I ended up just putting the .dmg file on there, so I have to mount it manually. But since you run the game from the HD, I haven't had to take these extra steps yet :)

13. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

actually there is a special bad track feature on the disks. It is at the end. It means this:

a computer measures the data it understands as = XXXMB

a pure 1-1 burning program realises it has to burn that bad track which is designed to fool it into believing that there is more data than will fit on any current disc (normally the size = 100MB).

Now, do you think that apple would allow you to pirate their OS on their OS?????? No. Disk Utility/Copy will of course respect the system apple uses.

Now worries - GM is going to kick sooooo bad.

Of course - you could spend USD1500 get ADC and have apple send you the three discs.