Panther/Classic Printing, a few other questions...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Plymouthbreezer, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

... So last night, I installed Panther on an iMac 350MHz, with the minimum 128MB RAM and a 6GB Hard drive (it was running OS 9.2.1). I was amazed at how fast it was considering the machines specs. The person (she's an interior designer) who will be using the computer only needs it for e-mail, word processing, powerpoint, and basic web browsing. I trashed iTunes, iPhoto, iMovie, Mail, and a bunch of apps/documents she didn't need. Freed up about 1GB.

But, I have a few things I still need to fix for the lady.

Issue A: How do you print from a Classic application? I can't for the life of me figure out how to set it up. She needs to be able to print from Classic as she has Office 2001, which is what she mainly uses for most of her things. So she needs to be able to print from Classic applications.

Issue B: More free space...? Language files? What else should I trash?

Issue C: Anyone know a good label (for mailings) making program? Right now she uses Word, but doesn't like the interface. I was hoping to suggest to her a better alternative that will run on her system (128MBs RAM, limited hard drive space...).

Any help would be great!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

From Classic, you have to set it up with the Chooser.. same as you would on an OS 9 box. And note that the printer descritpions installed in OS X are in no way referenced in Classic.. and particular drivers/PPDs will have to be reinstalled IN Classic.

3. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Yeah, I know about Chooser... But how exactly would one install the drivers IN Classic?

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If you've set up the printer (and presumably installed the drivers) in OS9, it will print exactly the same way in Classic.

5. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Once again, HOW do you install the driver IN Classic?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The installer needs to be Classic aware.. most of the HP ones, you can do a Get Info and there should be a checkbox for "open this app in Classic". Otherwise you may have to download an OS9 version of the PPD.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You said this Mac was running OS9 before you installed OSX. Was it working with the printer in question at that time? If so, you don't need to do anything else. If it wasn't working previously, I'd probably reboot into OS9 and set it up the old familiar way then go back to OSX.

8. PBGPowerbook macrumors regular

answering for (B) there are some 'delocalizers' on versiontracker that will eliminate all the languages except the one of your choosing (american english default i think), might get a couple more GB.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

You could have avoided a lot of language localizations right from the get-go in the installation process.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you installed MacOS X over MacOS 9, then your MacOS 9 print drivers should still be on your computer and not require installation. If you wiped your previous MacOS 9 installation, then you have to download and install MacOS 9 versions of your print driver. If you have a PostScript printer, then all you have to do is to copy your printer's MacOS X PPD file into /System Folder/Extensions/Printer Descriptions/.