Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Kind of an unofficial poll of users out there but lately (since about 10.3.2 on) my iBook G4 (14") has been crashing a lot.

When programs aren't crashing, I usually get either 1 kernel panic or grey screen/reset lock-up a day. I've also noticed program stability has reverted to that of system 7 :rolleyes:

Anybody else having similar woes? By the way, I've repaired permissions, removed dodgy software and freed up hard drive space a bit. I do only have about 3.5 gb's free out of a 40 gb hd...does that have anything to do with the instability? I also have good RAM, it's checked out in tech tool deluxe and with the ram store by my house. Cheers.

-J

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
JDOG_ said:
Kind of an unofficial poll of users out there but lately (since about 10.3.2 on) my iBook G4 (14") has been crashing a lot.

When programs aren't crashing, I usually get either 1 kernel panic or grey screen/reset lock-up a day. I've also noticed program stability has reverted to that of system 7 :rolleyes:

Anybody else having similar woes? By the way, I've repaired permissions, removed dodgy software and freed up hard drive space a bit. I do only have about 3.5 gb's free out of a 40 gb hd...does that have anything to do with the instability? I also have good RAM, it's checked out in tech tool deluxe and with the ram store by my house. Cheers.

-J
Remove your ram anyways, you never know. And also check for kernel extentions in the /System/Library/Extentions folder. Maybe search by date if any program installers added some recently, they can easily crash your computer if they went bad...Ive had some freezes from VPC's extentions...so....YMMV

Free From PC

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2003
Hendersonville, TN
Fukui said:
Remove your ram anyways, you never know. And also check for kernel extentions in the /System/Library/Extentions folder. Maybe search by date if any program installers added some recently, they can easily crash your computer if they went bad...Ive had some freezes from VPC's extentions...so....YMMV

What exactly is a kernel?? I am getting the same error, but I only get mine if I put the hard drive to sleep.

blue&whiteman

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Free From PC said:
What exactly is a kernel?? I am getting the same error, but I only get mine if I put the hard drive to sleep.

the kernel is the main core of the os. the foundation if you will.... yes?

clr900

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2004
Only time my computer has crashed/had kernel panics is about a year ago and it had something to do with my Apple Pro Mouse. I went through two of those things and when the second one started to go, it would kernel panic my computer whenever I tried to plug it in.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Free From PC said:
Kernel is the very core of the operating system and provides the basic functions and abilities to build on such as he ability for multiple applications to run at the same time use more than 2 cpus ect, i.e OS 9 had a really crappy kernel....

Anyways, some companies for whatever reasons install extentions that run in the kernel for extra speed etc, but the downside is that extentions run in the same memory space as the kernel, so if theres a bug in the extention it can write into the kernel, screwing up your system and needing a restart. Thats why in general kernel extentions should rarely be installed.

Anyways, usually the thing that can screw up a system is 1- bad hardware, 2- kernel extentions, 3- bad OS installation, in that order I have experienced...

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
JDOG_ said:

-J

Panther is extremely stable when properly installed with sufficient RAM and HD space.
Backup your data and do a clean installation.
3.5GB is probably not enough space for the OSX swap file.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
snickelfritz said:
Panther is extremely stable when properly installed with sufficient RAM and HD space.
Backup your data and do a clean installation.
3.5GB is probably not enough space for the OSX swap file.

Will do mate. Just have to wait til I get an external drive to put all my stuff on. I'd put it on the ram, but it did it twice before I put in the 512 module.I thought free space wasn't so much of an issue with OSX as opposed to Windows. Cheers.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
JDOG_ said:
Will do mate. Just have to wait til I get an external drive to put all my stuff on. I'd put it on the ram, but it did it twice before I put in the 512 module.I thought free space wasn't so much of an issue with OSX as opposed to Windows. Cheers.
It doesnt unless the paging file runs out of space (you have 100 apps open or photoshop loads an image larger then the free space on your disk and RAM etc) then OS X gives you a warning before things get to bad to close some apps to free virtual memory.

If it still did it before the ram upgrade, then I would consider using the apple hardware test CD and do a thorough check of your Hardware, and if it doesnt find anything, backup your data, and do a full clean erase and install, the use it for a few days without adding any apps, and see if it still crashes, if so then you should consider using your warranty to have it replaced or fixed.

G5trinity

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2003
Users

I have noticed that when doing a panther upgrade that users can be corupted. Even during a Archive and install. Before wipeing out your system I would try createing another admin user. If the problem presists that means it is your kernal. If it doesn't in means that the user is corupt. Out 15 installs on as many computers I have found this. 3 had corupt users. My dual 2 G5, a G4 400, and a G4 dual 1 gig. It seem to corupt the primary user on and machine leaving rare admin users intact. However a Freash wipe and install will insure you start from a zeroed position to trouble shoot hardware possiblities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.