panther currently on ebay

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LucasLand, Jun 30, 2003.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

Mar 6, 2002
    New England
    An ebay seller from a legitimate company ( is selling copies of Panther, he got from WWDC, for $30. I emailed him (not the address on the auction page) and asked him if they were cd-r's. He said they are cd-r's. I'm not sure if i should buy or not. I would rather have orginal disc.

What do you think?
  2. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    I hope Apple's Legal Department notices this soon and sends over a few real panthers to deal with them. This is just wrong on so many levels.
  3. evil macrumors 6502

May 2, 2003
    chicago ex-toronto
    as useful as ebay can be i pretty much cant stand it
    its where the ruthlessness of people become way too obvious and most people make me sick in the first place.
    i hope they bust this dude.
  4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    wow...I cannot wait to see this get pulled from Apple legal... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't purchase a CD-R of a BETA OS...u are just asking for problems IMO.
  5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    i dunno it might take a while but it is against ebays policy to sell cdrs.....also the apple never seemed to pursue taking down auctions that sell ifnormation on how to get adc products cheaply
  6. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    At least he knows it is wrong:

"Please use this at your own risk, and purcahse at your own risk!"
  7. Pete_Hoover macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2003
  8. skymaXimus macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    I find it humerous that he's using an aqua theme on his auction w/ such bold stripes to sell panther.
  9. dynamicd macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    It's much easier to go on a p2p like bittorrent and d/l it. I'm sure he'll get a few buyers though.
  10. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Aug 6, 2002
    When something like this happens I question the person integerity.

Is he a loyal Mac user that wants to spread Panther to the people within a reasonable cost.

Or is he someone that downloaded Panther and though to himself "I could make a couple of bucks of stubborn Mac crazy people".

Wait until the full release, this is pirating software believe it or not.

You know whenever you install something, it come up with a user license agrrement, it's in violation of that.

From the site:
  11. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2003
    Ive got to say that ive just bought a mac of ebay australia and my mac didnt come with no disks granted this was pointed out in the sales area and i did ask and i did get an answer about keeping the disks for his new machine i know its not panther its osx 10.2 that ive got on this little sucker. Ive also just bought osx of apple website Australia so iam happy now if this thing crashes which it hasnt iam bloody pleased as punch with this machine its and old i mac but hell its running like a dream beats the pc i have to bits mainly because the pc sits in the conner now gathering dust cant wait to get me hands on that g5 now though.. as for panther iam i mistaken but panther isnt ready for relase is it so there not much point in having the panther is there..

Just a thought
  12. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Welcome to the community, Sabenth! Sounds like your iMac must have a good amount of memory in it. Yes, stick with the 10.2 (Jaguar). Panther is beta code, it's not finished or ready yet.
  13. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be

damn dude, ever heard of punctuation? :p

yeah, this is just wrong. and this is software's one thing to put panther dp up for download, but to actually make money off it too, that's not right. hope he gets arrested.