Panther dashboard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by KevKaos, Nov 21, 2006.

1. KevKaos macrumors 6502

OK, I may be way off base but I am trying to learn. I got my hands on a Mac laptop from work that I am try to learn on before getting my own Mac next year. The OS is 10.3.9 so I am guessing that is Panther? Anyway, there doesn't seem to be a dashboard app. Is Panther pre-dashboard? The books that I have and I am trying to learn from are for Tiger. They seem pretty close, but not sure what the differences are yet.

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

3. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

OK. I kinda figured I was pre-dashboard but wanted to confirm.
    I have used Yahoo widgets on my Windoze PC and they are pretty cool. I am basically trying out things that I want to do with say an iMac, by doing them on this laptop. I hope to have my learning curve knocked way down by the time I get my own Mac so I can sort of "hit the ground running". Thanks for the info.

4. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

with the exception of some under-the-hood improvements and the addition of Widgets/Spotlight, OSX 10.4 is very similar (nearly identical) to OSX 10.3.9

personally, I'm not sure what the hubbub is all about re: Widgets/Spotlight. They're pretty cool, but...eh. Rather frivolous additions, I've always thought.

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I think it depends on whether you find widgets that prove useful to you, and sometimes that requires some initial effort. I love Dashboard, if only for the weather widget, but iClip lite and the Transmit widget are really useful too.

But, to each their own. :cool:

6. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

You can use Dashboard on Panther with a rather shady util called Amnesty Widget Browser which is essentially a cracked .dashboard framework ported/modified to run on Darwin 7.
    http://www.mesadynamics.com/amnesty.htm

7. 0010101 macrumors regular

10.3.9 was my first version of OSX.. actually, it was 10.3, but free Apple updates took me up to 10.3.9.

Aside from the Dashboard and Spotlight, and the Mail application looking a little different, I haven't noticed anything else different in 10.4.8.

There might be some 'behind the scenes' differences, but I sure haven't noticed it.

Two Widgets I use regularly, the Weather Widget, and the Yellow Pages widget. I used the Yahoo versions when I was still running 10.3.9, but I really prefer Dashboard, just because I don't need to have those things on the desktop or hogging up space on my dock.. and I can just hit 'F12' and have them up in an instant, then when i've got the info I need, another tap of the 'F12' key hides them.

As a side note, I find the Weather Widget under dashboard to be far more accurate than the Yahoo version for my area, and the Dashboard version of the Yellow Pages is much faster and accurate.

8. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

"Widgets/Spotlight. They're pretty cool, but...eh. Rather frivolous addition" :eek: cant believe you said that, i cant survive without them, (and expose)

9. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

I LOVE spotlight and dashboard. But especially spotlight;) I can find things that I forgot where I put:p

10. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

My last Mac had Panther, so I still rarely use Dashboard. But then again, it took me a long time to start using Exposé when I updated from Jaguar.

11. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I like using Spotlight as an application launcher, as I'm a fast typer. I also like using the weather, stickies, dictionary, and especially the Simpsons Quote widget.

Just felt like sharing. :D

12. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Spotlight is very impressive technology.

Not just for now - but in Leopard it will get even better.

13. mesa macrumors newbie

Shady? Amnesty is a ground up rewrite of the Dashboard server and client modules. It's not cracked. It doesn't contain a ".dashboard" framework (there is no such thing). And it has nothing to do with Darwin 7. Where did you get this "disinformation" from?

The reason Amnesty works on Panther is simply because Apple's 10.3.9 WebKit update included the JavaScript-Objective-C bridge.

At least you got this part right: Amnesty is the only way to run Dashboard widgets on Panther.

14. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

It seems that Panther also doesn't have Automator. Is that correct? I really wanted to play with Automator a bit. I guess some things will have to wait till I get my own Mac sometime next year.

15. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

That's also correct I'm afraid.

No Dashboard, Automator or Spotlight.

Look on the bright side - you do at least have exposé.

16. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

Just makes me want an iMac even more. :eek:

17. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

Dashboard - Konfabulator (Yahoo! widgets)
    Spotlight - Quicksilver (it's better than Spotlight, IMO)
    Automator - suffer without.

I don't see many benifits with Tiger on my iMac to Panther on my PowerBook.

18. rdf8585 macrumors regular

Do you expect the last 10.4.x to be very similiar to 10.5?

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

10.4 brought a HUGE leap ahead in the Active Directory plug-in.
    As well as the abandonment of cron in favor of Launch*.
    As well as the update from ipfw to ipfw2.
    And a whole myriad of other "behind the scenes" junk that most people don't know or care about. Personally, the previous 3 are my favorites.