Panther Delayed Again

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by stcanard, Oct 29, 2003.

1. stcanard macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    Okay, I am seriously _not_ impressed here.

I pre-ordered my copy of Panther on the 8th of October, for shipping to Canada.

It was initially slated to go out on the 21st, to coincide with the release.

3pm on the 21st I get an email it's been delayed to the 24th.

3pm on the 24th I get an email it's been delayed to the 29th.

Guess what email I got a 3pm today? Yup, now they're saying November 3rd.

This is an upgrade copy, it's not like they even have to print a $%^# box for it.

As only my second experience with the Apple online store, I am seriously _not_ impressed and will probably not be buying from them again:

1) How are they prioritizing their shipments? Surely by now my order should be higher than the people who ordered it last week.

2) Do they really expect me to believe that they don't know it's not going to go until 3pm on the day it's supposed to ship? (they did the same thing with my powerbook).

I understand stock shortages, but my god, give realistic dates. If I had been told when I ordered that it wasn't going to ship until November I would've been dissapointed, but accepted it.

These constant, sudden, last minute delays are serving to really upset me though. Especially when I can walk into a retail store and see boxes sitting on the shelves.

What gives? Anybody else in the same boat that can share my pain?

It's enough to drive one to alternate sources, just so I can move forward on configuring my brand new Powerbook. I don't want to invest in setting up Jaguar and then have to wipe it to install Panther.

Okay, now it's 3:30 and according to the order status it's shipped, but there's no tracking, and the only email I've gotten is the notice of delay.

At this point, all I can say is seriously, WTF?

I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

[EDIT 2]

Well, my order status changed to shipped and I got a tracking number.

That was 1/2 an hour ago. Now the tracking number is gone, the top of the page says it was shipped, but the fine print under the details in the order says open.

Well at least Apple has managed to pique my interest, I just have no idea what's going to happen tomorrow.
  2. MatthewStorm macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2003
    Blame Canada

It's because you're from Canada, mate! They're getting you back for causing that major power outage over the summer.
  3. stcanard thread starter macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    Re: Blame Canada

Nahh, it just took them too long to find sled dogs in California.

I got an official "shipping notice" finally, so I guess I'm in for Panther goodness tomorrow!

Just bought myself an incase neoprene sleeve because that old laptop bag was just too bulky for my beauty.

All the toys are finally coming together. Tomorrow I will probably be happy again ... you always forgive the one you love.
  4. iEric macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2003
    I think ur on the bottom of the list since ur upgrading it .... so they want to give the copies to people that paid full price for it..Thats what I think...and its not cause ur in canada cause i got mine a day early.
  5. stcanard thread starter macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    That's what I would have figured, but in the various Panther threads I'm pretty sure I've seen upgraders who ordered significantly after me and got it earlier.

I'm now figuring on this:

They go the sled dogs on the 24th. Sent then up to me in Vancouver and they all drowned heading down hwy 99 with the storms that were here recently

Replace with Ducks. The ducks crossed the border yesterday, saw the sun and got scared, so they delayed the order.

Then, overnight, while they were trying to fly home the wind suddenly blew them into town. Not a thing they could do.

The Apple office here was so confused they didn't know what to do until the ducks suddenly got blown into their office.

Whaddya think? It's the most reasonable scenario I can come up with.

P.S. Do fully appreciate this, you would have to have read about the "weather" we have had this year ... a month ago and I could have include the camels dying of thirst :)