Panther Desktop Grid Size

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Lead Belly, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Lead Belly macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2002
    I checked the archives and couldn't find my answer there. We just upgraded to Panther at work and I keep a lot on my desktop. The same number of icons that fit fine in OS 9 cover my screen twice over in OS X (and my icon size is set to 32 x 32 pixels).

Is there any way through terminal or shareware to tighten the desktop grid in Panther? Icons are so spread out on the desktop in OS X. I fully admit to being anal retentive about keeping things lined up and I could just learn to deal, but hey, I gotta be me.

Any ides? Thanks for any help.
  2. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Oct 29, 2003
    Finder>View Menu>Show View Options

Select your icon size from there, and Snap to Grid too, if you like.

The Void
  3. johnnowak macrumors 6502

Jul 24, 2003
    New York, New York
    I donno what he was answering....

Try putting the label on the right. You can fit a lot more that way.
  4. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    Tucson AZ
    Download dragthing; that should help tremendously with keeping a large number of icons sorted in a small area.
  5. The Void macrumors regular

The Void

Oct 29, 2003
    Sorry, i didn't read the original post properly. D'oh!

The Void
  6. PubGuy macrumors member

Jan 7, 2002
    No one's answered the question...I would like to know that too.

The up/down spacing on my desktop is good, but the left/right spacing is too wide. I could easily fit another column of icons on my desktop versus where OSX is placing them.

There has to be some CFG file somewhere to allow you to specify the actual grid used on the desktop and windows.

Anybody know where this is and care to share?