panther disk numbers

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by norwood scott, Nov 2, 2003.

1. norwood scott macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ive seen a few messages in some threads discussing different versions of panther- upgrade vs retail -and that they each have different numbers on the disks. the panther i got came pre-installed on the new ibook, and its disks had different numbers than both versions earlier discussed. mine said 2z691-4554-a and 4555a- and 4624-a. Is this the same as the retail version, and most important-can i use this software to erase and clean install panther to my other machine- a g4 466 with 10.1.5. also will i have to re install all apps like photoshop dreamweaver, etc after a clean install or can i transfer them over from the hd backup on an external drive? thanks for any help- Im pretty new to working with computers for anything other than itunes & iphoto.
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Generally speaking, as I don't have experience with preinstalled Panther, Apple makes the install CDs only work on the computer they came with... So your disc should only work on iBooks that match it's specs. It's not exactly legal to use that disc to install on any other machine, so they make it difficult. To be totally legit you need to get a retail version for your other machine(s).

3. norwood scott thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2003
    has anyone out there actually tried it? -just for ****s & giggles::
  4. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Feb 9, 2003
    Erie, PA
    It is possible. But Who knows how Apple did those disks.

When I got my iBook last year (shortly after Jag came out) it came with a Full set of Jag CDs and upgrade Jag CDs. Don't kow why they did that, but hey I'm not complaining. It just helped me out from buying another copy.

Anyways, I tried Both sets on my Quicksilver to see if it would install. In fact both CDs installed on my Quicksilver. So it might be possible. But like Paul stated Apple has in the past set the install CDs that come with machines to only install on those Machines.

You can always try it your self, if it lets you install then you know it will work. However there is a legal issue because the ULA only allows one computer.

5. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2002
    Los Angeles

Just so you all know, I clean installed 10.2 on a iBook using the DVD software and restore disk that came with my 17in Powerbook.

Worked perfectly.

6. stcanard macrumors 65816

Oct 19, 2003
    Just as an intersting side note, in Canada is it legal to do this as long as you maintain only one installed copy of the software at any one time.

It has been established by precedent, although I would have to go pull out my Engineering Law books to figure out what the precedent was.