PANTHER .dmg

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by 9eleven83, Nov 3, 2003.

1. 9eleven83 macrumors newbie

ive successfully made a .dmg backup of my panther dics's because i was afraid they might get scrateched the way i take care of them.... and they did.... but now when i try to record my full DMG's of each cd.... it wont let me boot from them....... i click install OSX and it says u will need to restart,,,then it asks me for my passcode.. i enter it... it restarts and im back where i started... what should i do? also if i try to hold C down to boot from disk alone it goes to the os9 startup screen with a folder and a question mark is on it... help if you can .

2. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

I believe you need to name the image the EXACT name of the CD. So the first one should be called, Mac OS X Install Disc 1, the second, Mac OS X Install Disc 2, and the third, Mac OS X Install Disc 3.

I also made an image of the CD's for backup purposes and they work just fine.

Try renaming the images to the names above and re-burn them.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Mounted Before Burn??

If you mounted the dmg before you burned it, and you didn't lock it first (Get Info pane), your screwed.

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I did the back-up disk thing with Toast 5.2.1 and it worked... try that maybe.

5. jamesatzones macrumors regular

I used Toast Titanium and everything works fine...

6. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

so u guys are sayin to take the dmg and just burn that with disk utility or toast, and not to mount it first

7. jamesatzones macrumors regular

Do the Duplicate CD funtion in Toast, it will make a direct copy of the CD. I can't remember the exact name, I'm away from my Mac right now, but it is either Copy CD or Duplicate CD...

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

Looks like other people have better suggestions for your specific situation, but here's a more general backup strategy that has worked for me:

1) Make an image of the CDs you want to back up using Disk Copy (now rolled into Disk Utility in 10.3). You must make a "Device Image", not just a volume image, or it won't work--you won't get a bootablel CD. The option is buried in the menus, but it is in there.

2) When you want to actually use your backups, you're going to need to burn them to CDRs, since there's no way to boot from a DMG, and I'm pretty sure can't install the OS without booting from the install disc. You can do the burning with Disk Copy/Utilty, or I assume Toast can also handle it.

This has worked for making bootable copies of both OSX install discs and Windows install CDs as well (yes, all legit).

9. Macette macrumors 6502

I'm about to make backups of my Panther CDs, and when I go to make a Disc Image, it comes up with a CD-within-a-CD - it says Pioneer DVD... (which is the name of my drivE) then Session 1, then Mac OS X upgrade. do i just image OS X upgrade, or Session 1?

10. MacEs macrumors newbie

Bungalow / Disk Copy

I'm having the same problem, and it seems impossible to me to burn bootable disks. A time ago I found a few comments on burning bootable disks:

- First option: Disk Copy

Create a bootable CD with OS X's Disk Copy. To do so, boot into OS X, insert your OS 9 CD, launch Disk Copy, and select New Image From Device from the Image menu. Select your media drive from the list of drives that appears and click Image.
    (I did this, and until this step everything fine)

In the resulting window select DVD/CD Master from the Image Type pop-up menu and None from the Compression pop-up. Name the image and click Image.
    (A problem either... it appears as a .cdr on my desktop)

Once you've created the image, mount it and add whatever stuff you want to your startup disk -- utilities, for example. When you're done, drag the mounted image to the Trash.
    (...And here starts my problem: is it necessary to mount it? I mounted it, dragged the mounted image to the Trash, but then of course it disappears! The .cdr however remains on the desktop.
    Do I have to protect the image, like someone said before in this topic? What is actually happening doing these actions?)

Now select Burn Image from Disk Copy's Image menu to create the startup disc.
    And here it fails, getting a message:
    - the file is in use (while the mounted image still on the desktop)
    - the .cdr can't be burned (the mounted image having dragged to the trash)

- Second option: Toast

In the Bungalow videos online they explain how to do this.
    "Phil, All the Breen's Bungalows from November 2001 to May 2002 are online here:
    http://www.macworld.com/subject/mac911/bungalow.html
    The "How to make a bootable CD" Bungalow is December 2001 (Alsoft's website includes a link to it as well). Chris"

This one I am not able to try since Toast doesn't support my cd-writer (I'm the "proud" owner of a PowerBook Titanium with intern Matsuhita cd-writer).

I hope you guys have more luck....

Regards,
    MacEs