Panther Dock bug

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by FredAkbar, Oct 26, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

When I have a folder in the Dock (such as my Applications folder), and I right-click on it to see its contents, and I select one of the apps in it, obviously that app is supposed to open. But instead, it just opens a Finder window with that app highlighted. This is definitely new to Panther, and I'm not sure if it's been going on since I installed it on Thursday (the 23rd, got it a day early), but certainly for the last day or two at least.

Anyone else have this problem?

2. macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Try left-click-hold; choose the app from the list.
    Quicktime player ran on my setup.

GL

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Nope, same thing happens :(. Could it be from something I installed? I didn't really do any major installs of programs though...hmm...

4. macrumors 6502a

The problem with my dock was that it didn't even show up cause it was freezing.
    To fix it, I removed all Modifiers.
    Do you have modifiers? If you do, get rid of them.
    2ndly, try to Repair the Permissions. Maybe that will work.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I don't have Dock modifiers, but the problem is solved. A simple restart was all that was needed. I hadn't restarted since I first installed Panther (6 days ago), which is a while for me. Thanks for the help, guys.

6. macrumors 6502a

I've had the same problem when I've tried to set up a mouse button to carry out an expose function. I have a Wacom tablet with mouse, and I tried to set it up so that a click on the scroll wheel would show all my open windows. It worked -- for a few clicks. But then it got all messed up, and clicking on items in the dock resulted in showing their locations in the Finder (like if you were Command-clicking the apps). It seems that setting my mouse button to do Expose somehow got my Command button locked on.

This happened to me twice. After the second time, I took the Expose function off the mouse button, and everything has been normal since then.

7. iPC
    macrumors 6502

iPC

works fine for me. and i have cleardock running.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

Hey thanks, I didn't know about that Command-click shortcut!

9. macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

My Wacom works fine with Exposé

10. macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yeah, when I first booted into Panther, I had all kinds of problems. I was seriously upset, considering I had waited all this time for Panther and I counted a dozen bugs within a minute of using 10.3, but then I had the bright idea of doing a fresh restart and amazingly everything was golden afterwards. It just seems that Panther needs to have a good restart after being installed to get all the kinks out.