Panther DVD Player

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by stevey500, Oct 21, 2004.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

K im running panther 10.3.5 and well I just installed a dvd burner. I need a program for watching DVDs, I know there is dvd player that is on the os/x install disks, but I dont have the disks, I traided for this mac and did not include install disks. Is there any other way I can get/download DVD Player app? Or does anyone have an alternative dvd player program ? I have tried VLC but it takes to much power to run so its a bit choppy, I tired trans lucy dvd player and it works better than perfect but costs money, I want something free that will just at least play a dvd smoothly in full screen. Thanks

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot download the Apple DVD Player. You could try MPlayer which you do not seem to have tried yet...

3. mslifkin macrumors regular

mslifkin

DVD Player should be in your Applications directory. It gets installed with Mac OS X, I don't think you can choose not to install it. I've never had a Mac that didn't have a DVD Rom drive, so I don't know if it wouldn't install if a DVD Rom drive weren't present.

Marc

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It doesn't! No DVD ROM == No DVD Player.

5. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

^ are you sure?

I installed Panther (or Jaguar, cant remember), on an old Mac G3 with a CD-ROM drive at school (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g3/stats/powermac_g3_350_bl.html), and sure enough, there was the DVD Player.app right there in the Applications folder. I specificly remember pointing it out to everyone, mentioning how the computer doesnt have a DVD ROM drive.

But then I remembered that you can use DVD Player to play Video_TS folders that are on the hard drive, and you can use it to view DVD's that are on a network.

Although I could be wrong, cuz I dont go to that school anymore to check, but I seriously remember it being there.

Do a search, maybe it is there but hidden, who knows.

if you dont have it, maybe you can do a search on Versiontracker.com, there might be a third party DVD player out there somewhere...

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Anyway.... Use Pacifist to get the "DVD Player.app" off your Panther installer CDs/DVD. No OS reinstall needed.