Panther EXTREMELY Slow

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Unclej78, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Unclej78 macrumors member

I'm new to OSX. I got a B&W 400 w/Panther preinstalled. I've been using it for a couple of weeks. I've been switching/rebooting back and forth between panther and OS9 very easily with no problems. However, stupid me while restarting into OSX, I clicked on network startup (from os9 control panel), its not clicked now.

When it boots up in x now, the startup menu takes forever, then when the desktop pattern finally loads, it takes forever to load the internal HD's. After several minutes when everything is loaded, if i click on anything/anywhere the mouse spins and after about a minute the computer reactes to what i've chosen. It takes several minutes to try to reboot back into 9 most times even after clicking to start up in 9 it times out and I have to restart it from the power button. Only once since this started has it booted up normally. After using 10.1 VERY BREIF and not likeing it, i'm very impressed with panther.

Any ideas?

2. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Panther EXTREMELY Slow

Boot OS X, go to, Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility, Repair permissions.

3. Unclej78 thread starter macrumors member

Just tried it, same problem. Rebooted to OS9 then back to X, slows down when loading the "starting window". Then loads everything VERY SLOW.

4. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

5. Unclej78 thread starter macrumors member

I posted this same message on Apple's forums. I got more responses. They suggested zapping the PRAM and that obviously worked.

Booted up correct after that.

Thanks for the help.