panther for sale cheap?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by bloodlocust, Jun 27, 2004.

1. bloodlocust macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I can get panther for eMac quite cheaply - it comes on 1 dvd and 2 other discs - will it work on an ibook? and will it install properly on a mac which has a formatted hard drive?

Just curious as it's cheap...

2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I would think so. There isn't a different version of the opperating system for each computer model. So yes, it will install on the iBook and any mac that has a properly formatted hard drive - assuming that the computer meets the other required specs for running Panther.

Nice find ;),
    JOD8FY

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

If it's part of the software restore package that came with the eMac it won't install on an iBook. They're model specific and they know what kind of computer you're running. If it's a retail install then it's not system specific and will install on any supported Mac. But it doesn't sound like it's a retail disk.

Will it install on a formatted drive? Can you clarify? All drives are formatted.

4. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....be careful - they may not be real 10.3 install disks but rather the "software restore" set for the eMac the disks came with. If so, they really should not even be for sale without the computer they came with.....oh yeah!

5. bloodlocust thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah! they're on ebay and are restore / install disks. I thought the price was kinda cheap..?

6. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Can you post a link? If it is the operating system...on a CD...that people buy in order to upgrade their OS...then it will work. If it is the CD that came with the eMac to restore software it will not.

Link would be helpful.

JOD8FY