Panther forgets print settings, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by dukemeiser, Nov 10, 2003.

1. dukemeiser macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

In Jaguar, you could open Safari, and open the print dialog. The first time you had to select all your settings (grayscale, draft, etc.). Then everytime you printed a page from that app, it would retain those settings. The settings were lost only when you quit Safari. When I need to print 50 pages, but all different webpages, this was a real time saver. (I'm using a HP 920c, but this is a software problem)

However, this seems to be lost in Panther. Now, everytime you open the print dialog, it reverts to the default settings. So everytime I want to print a page I must select everything all over again. Saving the presets does not work, as the "grayscale" setting will always revert to "Colorsmart III" no matter how you save it. Does anyone know of a way I could fix this? 10.3.1 does not fix it, nor does the new HP 2.3.1 driver fix the problem, nor does the Print Aid script work. Please HELP ME!!! If I can't resolve this I'll have to go back to Jaguar, and stay there.

2. hdodds macrumors newbie

Try these two things:

1. From System Preferences, go to 'Print and Fax' and set your default paper size.

2. Saving a group of print options as a preset

If you have a combination of options that you frequently use when printing a document, you can save it as a "preset." For example, if you often like to print two pages on each sheet of paper with a double hairline border, you can combine those options as a single preset and quickly apply them without having to select each option individually.

With a document open, choose File > Print.
    Select the options you want to use.
    Choose Save As from the Presets pop-up menu and type a name for the set of options.

To use this set of options when you print a document, choose its name from the Presets pop-up menu.

Note: Some options cannot be saved in a preset. After saving a group of print options as a preset, print a document using the preset to see if it prints the way you want.

If you want to change the preset, choose its name from the Presets pop-up menu, make changes to the options, then choose Save from the Preset pop-up menu. Choose Rename to change the name of a preset. Choose Delete to remove the preset.

To see a list of all the options included in a specific preset, choose its name from the Presets pop-up menu, and then choose Summary from the Copies & Pages pop-up menu.

Henry

3. dukemeiser thread starter macrumors 6502a

dukemeiser

As mentioned in my original post, saving presets does not work. Grayscale will will not save as a preset, which defeats the whole point of a preset.

4. hdodds macrumors newbie

Sorry, always was rubbish at reading the question.

I think this is an issue with the HP driver, as, despite having deleted and reinstalled the driver I have the exact same problem with my HP deskjet 880C.

I don't have this problem with my Epson Stylus Photo 810, which works as you'd expect, suggesting this isn't a problem with Panther.

So have logged this with HP.