Panther freezes up after sleep

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Maticode, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Maticode macrumors newbie

Anyone know why my panther freezes up after i wake it from sleeping?

It doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough to piss me off... if anyone has ever experienced this and knows a fix for it, please let me know, thanks....

2. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

First thing to do is check what third-party apps are running. I used to see this same behavior - happened just often enough to drive me nuts. I traced it to an app called "SSH Agent". I've since found an app that does the same thing but without lockups - SSH Keychain.

3. Maticode thread starter macrumors newbie

I am running a powerbook 15 inch alu with panther 10.3.2

i usually only have AOL, Safari, and iChat running while it is sleep.

does it matter whats installed, or whats running?

I dont have a lot of third party software

4. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

I had this problem even with jag. Panther did it too. Don't really know what the problem was, maybe my back-up battery (APC). I re-installed the drivers for it, and now everything is fine. I also ditched the Apple mouse, and began using a Logitech dual laser mouseman. Don't know what it was, but that freezing up after sleep doesn't happen anymore.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I know this is a pain, but you should try shutting all your apps off before putting the computer to sleep (don't forget about things like menu add-ons, konfabulator, and other "extensions"). If you don't see the problem recur, then work at isolating which one is the issue by enabling a few at a time over the course of a week or two (or whatever timeframe seems reasonable to you).

Troubleshooting sporadic problems is one of the most tedious tasks there is, unfortunately.

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I used to get kernel panics in Jaguar because of sleep/USB issues. For instance if my Mac was sleeping and I unplugged the printer or Zip drive it would likely kernel panic when it woke up. My mom had sleep issues (no kernel panic, just wouldn't sleep for more than 5 seconds) because of her MS 3 button mouse. A new driver fixed that.

Troubleshooting is a pain.

7. Maticode thread starter macrumors newbie

could it be my airport card? Because when I turned it off, it doesn't do the prob

8. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I know that, on PCs, PCMCIA cards are often the culprit in problems with waking from sleep or recovering from hibernation. With Apple keeping a tighter rein on the hardware that goes into a Mac, it seems less likely (unless the hardware is broken).

9. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Make sure your airport card is seated firmly in its slot. Loose airport cards are often the cause of kernal panics (freezes).

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    how many times has this happened? check ram and airport, i run lots of apps and jsut close the lid, so i doubt apps will make a diff hoepfully its just a lose connection

11. Maticode thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i'll check ram, and airport. it hasn't happened in a while until yesterday. It happened again.. it seems to happen sometimes when i unplug the power supply while its sleeping, and then open the lid.

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Classic isn't running, is it? Since 9 doesn't handle sleeping as well as X, that can cause all sorts of weirdness.

Also, as others have said, USB and Firewire devices can cause problems when waking from sleep.

13. Smack macrumors newbie

Cold Start freeze and sleep freeze

I have the same problem. The problem is if the machine is cold (10 celcius o 50 Fahrenheit ambient). If machine is hot, the problem is some times if networks change, for example, another IP for Airport or Airport to Ethernet, then the machine freezes or get Kernel Panic.

If I start (not sleep) with cold ambient (10 celcius ambient or less), Freeze is for sure. Freeze occurs before login panel or at login panel

If I start in safe mode (cold machine), I can log in, and if I wait for 5 minutes I can restart without a Freeze,

If I start in safe mode (cold machine), but if I restart immediately in normal mode, freeze is for sure.

PowerBook 1.33
    Panther 10.3.6

Note: Excuse my bad English