Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lem0nayde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
NYC
Man, this has been the worst new product experience I've ever had. I usually have good luck with technology - but after sinking a ton of money into a Dual G5 and installing my "free" copy of Panther - I feel like just about the unluckiest bastard ever.

Granted, I expected some minor glitches since the G5s were a new chip, but this technology was clearly rushed to market.

First: My initial G5 was a bum machine, which couldn't run anything without crashing constantly and barely had a noticeable speedbump over my former Dual 867mhz. I returned that one to Apple, and they were good about shipping out another one.

The new one is faster - but it still makes the irritating power source chirping noises, and the drives still get WAY to hot. Apple's RAM was still incompatible with my 3rd party RAM, actually causing the system to run slower (20 point drop in CPU performance with XBench).

The system stability is awful, it crashes all the time, I've seen more spinning beachballs than Annette Funicello.

Panther has rendered Suitcase completely unuseable - leaving me (a pro graphic designer) with no font utility, other than the awful Font Book. Nothing runs smoothly under Panther - not even the brand new Photoshop and Illustrator CS. I installed and reinstalled the OS - no change.

Granted, Panther is awesome in many respects, but it too feels rushed to market with not enough considerations for the many thousands of people who rushed to buy the G5 (that they've been waiting for for two years).

Apple really pulled a fast one on us this time. There had better be some serious updating going on in the near future. I'm very disappointed in the my return on this investment. Worst than that - I am actually losing money, being unable to get work done - and spending all of my time trying to get the damn thing to work.

Whatever happened to 3 easy steps..."oh wait, there is no third step." Apparently the rules have changed:

Step One - Quickly make shoddy product with one or two oohs and ahs (expose, G5's 64bit nature).

Step Two - Utilize Apple communities trust and loyalty to get them to buy in, take their hard earned cash.

Step Three - Oh...you mean they wanted it to WORK too? Man...guess we should have tested the stuff out first.

That is the end of my rant. Anyone else going through the G5 Panther blues?

lem0nayde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
NYC
Been there, done that. Several times actually. The reformatting - even at zero-level did no good. It's just the software / hardware combo.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
i haven't had many of these problems, and I have the same setup... suitcase X1 seems to run fine for me (although I don't tax it very heavily). there are problems with Image Capture corrupting certain image-related things (scanners, iphoto etc) and i've had the odd glitch... i guess i knew i was signing up for this when i went with a first generation product. Applecare people have been remarkably helpful and polite, despite me absolutely exploding at them when my first dual arrived and didn't even SWITCH ON...

anyway, i feel your pain, but just keep trying. you'll be rewarded, eventually, i reckon.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
This question needs to be posted over at:

http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/

Explain everything you tried, all the issues, the complete cause and effect blueprints for what you've tried to resolve the issues...

And the model and complete specs of your G5... post all that at the site I linked you to at the beginning of this post.

h'biki

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Sydney, Australia
Re: Panther + G5 = ***** NIGHTMARE!

Originally posted by lem0nayde

Panther has rendered Suitcase completely unuseable - leaving me (a pro graphic designer) with no font utility, other than the awful Font Book. Nothing runs smoothly under Panther - not even the brand new Photoshop and Illustrator CS. I installed and reinstalled the OS - no change.

This will sound harsh... but

As a fellow pro (video), I must say that the one thing I've learnt over the years is to never be an earlier adopter of any technology. Sure, the new technology may be faster than your current setup - but upgrades will inevitably lead to various issues and you will spend more time resolving them than the speed increase will save you. This is true of any company and any technology.

If you're going to upgrade, then upgrade on a non-critical machine / system so you can try **** out...

But I admit, sometimes its very very hard to resist the alure of the upgrade.

3-22

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2002
I have the Image Capture problem, and I'm always fighting with corrupt JPGs.

Otherwise my machine has been pretty stable...

I'm a recent swticher, and I jumped on the G5 a little sooner then I like because I waited so long. BUT... I really should have waited until the next revision.

They still have a lot of kinks to work out... If your looking to jump, I'd wait a couple months. (unless you like to tinker)

Foxer

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2003
Washington, DC
Used to have frequent crashes (kernal panics) when waking from sleep - about 20% of the time. Very disheartening. Not one since I went to Panther 10 days ago. Very stable.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
seems every time hardware is introduced there is problems and this holds true for the software, rev b & c seem to allways do a lot better and work better. Apple rule #1 dont buy the first run of anything.

lem0nayde

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2002
NYC
Yeah, I learned this rule the hard way. Hopefully some updates will at least smooth out the bulk of the problems, since most of them seem software based.

Next time around, I'll be waiting for rev b of the G6 or whatever.

Still - when this machine is running fast, it is INSANELY fast. I just have to hope it will become more stable over time. I also hope that the heat of the harddrives doesn't destroy them and all my data.

Joe

mystixman

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2002
USA
I had SOOO many issues with my G5 at first, but then once I turned off the proximity switches on my 20" cinema display, eveything has been going great. Maybe you still have a lemon?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.