Panther going wierd, will Tiger Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yogi477, Apr 13, 2005.

1. yogi477 macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

Recently, and ever increasingly things have been going bad with my Powerbook running Panther. Programs will unexpectedly quit, especially Safari, for no reason but then be fine after a restart then go again. There seems to be no pattern as to what is unstable, it seems to just be everything so I figure it must be the OS.
    I also get things like 'localized string not found' as contextual menu items in Safari instead of things like Open Image in New Window. Is there any way I can make sure that Tiger will solve these issues? I have already done permission repair and maintainance scripts as well as fsck is there anything else to try?
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Ryan

2. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I have 2 icons that are weird and some Microsoft program that starts up and crashes. I am just going to backup my data and do a fresh install of Tiger. Your Safari might be fixed by making a backup of your prefs and deleting them. See if the problem goes away. Also you can create a new user account and see if any of those problems remain. This will confirm it is a preference issue and not a system wide problem.

I actually look forward to doing a fresh install. It's like giving your Mac a bath. Everything is clean.

3. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

4. yogi477 thread starter macrumors regular

So if I do a fresh install does that not mean I will lose my data?

5. jim. macrumors 6502

If you backup, you won't lose data. But generally, yes, when you format a drive it makes it so that the OS will not see the data.

Jim

6. yogi477 thread starter macrumors regular

So I would have to do a fresh install to fix this and that would mean erasing the drive? Is there any other way?

7. live4ever macrumors 6502a

If you are running low on space strange things start to happen. Try to keep at least 10% free.

Boot from the install DVD and repair permissions - this allows some more system files to be corrected.