Panther has killed my iBook Battery

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jaw04005, Dec 23, 2003.

1. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I installed Panther about a month ago on my iBook. Ever since I have only gotten 1 hour of battery life, and most of the time it just says I have 1 hour and the battery ends up dieing 20 minutes later. I have already completed all the Mac OS X updates including the new battery update released a few weeks ago. Also, I have tried recalibarating my battery, and resetting the power management unit. Anyone have any suggestions? This iBook is no longer under warranty, and I don't want to spend the money on a new battery if its a problem with Panther. I have been told this problem is widespread. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Josh

PS- iBook 600Mhz

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

How old is your battery and how much time did you get out of it in your previous OS?

My battery life is up a bit over Jaguar, but my iBook was only 8 months old when I installed Panther.

How about booting into OS 9 and then see how long your batter lasts? That will bypass Panther so you will know if that's the problem or not.

3. jaw04005 thread starter macrumors 601

jaw04005

I got at least 3 hours in Mac OS X Jaguar, and I still get 3+ hours in Mac OS 9. The battery is about 7 months old (Apple replaced the battery 3 months into my warranty)

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Sounds like you have it narrowed down to Panther. Is there anything in your power management that would suck down the battery? Anything that only runs in Panther that didn't run in Jag or OS9? Have you looked on Apple's support forums? If it's a problem (as opposed to bad settings) then a lot of people are probably experiencing it. They'd go to Apple.