Panther+Hotmail?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Heart Break Kid, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

is there anyway to check your hotmail account in MAIL.APP in Panther?

2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I read you could. Not tried it though + not sure what settings are needed. Intersted to know though.

3. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

4. illumin8 macrumors 6502

5. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

that app doesnt seem to work in panther

all seems to work well and then when i check the account types HTTP is not in the list

ahh welll - guess im stuck using safari to check my hotmail

6. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

Version 1.3 does run in panther, make sure you read the install instructions. Mine works fine under panther.

7. daveyt macrumors newbie

try uninstalling and then re-installing...didn't work for me the first time, but I was diligent and tried again. Like a dream...

8. Foucault macrumors 6502

Foucault

Does it allow you to send e-mail via mail.app or does it just let you fetch the mail from hotmail?

9. Frisco macrumors 68020

Send and Receive via Mail App

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

keep in mind that this is just a patch, and MS could easily make it non-functional just by changing Hotmail enough. web-based accounts like Hotmail were never meant to be accessed by normal mail programs, except MailAndNews.com (when it existed) gave you free POP3 accounts...

the best option is to get a better account somewhere. anywhere. POP3 accounts are a dime a dozen, ISPs give them out like candy.

:)

pnw

11. JohnGillilan macrumors regular

Does anyone know if there is a plugin/patch to recieve AOL mail through Apple's "Mail"?

12. Frisco macrumors 68020

Mail Forward X

It only forwards to another email address. Don't know if it works in Panther.

13. JohnGillilan macrumors regular

Yeah, it works great. Thanks so much!!! I was always under the impression that it was impossible to get AOL into a mail client. Thanks again!!

14. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

How about Yahoo mail on Mail in Panther? Is that one possible?

15. JohnGillilan macrumors regular

Yeah. Mail Forward X supports the following types: AOL, Hotmail, MSN, Yahoo, and POP. Great piece of software. Works for 30 days, then you need to pay $15. I paid already -- its definitely worth it.

16. iEric macrumors 6502a

Can I delete??

17. Frisco macrumors 68020

Messages are not removed from the server when you put them into the trash. For them to be removed from the server you need to use the "Erase Deleted Messages" item from the "Mailbox" menu or press Applebutton and K

18. iEric macrumors 6502a

Oh okay, so you can delete them off the server. Thanks man!

19. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i'm having some problems installing that plug-in and getting it to work.

i followed the instructions and re-named the folder from 'Bundles (disabled)' to 'Bundles', but i don't get the option for 'httpmail' account type. all it has is .Mac, POP, IMAP and Exchange. and now this morning it doesn't even have the 'Exchange' option.

can anyone help me out?

20. beefcake macrumors 6502

I had the same exact problem. Quit out of mail, and run the terminal command again, then quit terminal and close the finder window (don't know if this really matters) and open Mail again. This worked for me.

21. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I set up the account and everything seems to be fine and I try to fetch mail from my account and it says there are no new messages, which is bogus.

What gives?

22. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

thanks beefcake. it all works now. :D

Laslo Panaflex, i don't know what you can do. you could try beefcake's suggestion a couple of times, and then just make sure that you enter all he right settings.

i also just realised that the reason i got a Hotmail account was so i didn't get junk and stuff sent to my proper account, and i didn't have to read it from Mail. oh well...

also, when you access Hotmail from Mail.app it registers on Hotmail.com that you've logged in doesn't it? so now i don't have to make sure i visit Hotmail at least once every month so my account doesn't de-activate? that's going to be handy. :)

23. beefcake macrumors 6502

cb911, i realized the exact same thing as I watched Mail download 200 messages, so I just split accounts up into Mailboxes (by checking some preference box). Keeps the plague that is hotmail spam out of my regular mailbox.

24. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

That Hotmail trick is useful. I'll have to try it when I get Panther.

I'm having trouble logging in to .mac on my PC. I want to be able to check my "Mail" at work but every time I log in, I get an error message ("Page can't be found" or something). Anyone else had difficulty? What's the minimum system requirements for a PC to access .Mac?

Squire

25. joshuwa72 macrumors member

wouldnt you be able to just open outlook on a pc, copy the information it uses for hotmail, and then enter that in mail.app?

im new to mac so i dont know mail's features, but this is what i was hoping i would be able to do.