Panther iChat hogging CPU?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stoid, Jan 26, 2004.

1. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

For some reason iChat has had a tendency to hog my CPU for no apparent reason. I originally discovered the problem when my folding speed decreased suddenly. I checked Activity Monitor to find that iChat was using between 70 and 85 percent of the CPU!! I restarted iChat, but after a few minutes it jumped again from its normal 5-10% to 70-85%. I have not been able to find a pattern regarding the jump and I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this??

I have a new 1.25 Ghz 15inch AluBook with the standard 512MB RAM running Panther 10.3.2 (Build 7D24).

Between this and not displaying my status messages correctly (truncates them if they are more than like 32 letters long!) I'm thinking about switching to the AIM client. :yuck!:

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Not sure if your still having this problem or not, but I had the same problem. I found it was linked to a specific buddy, that would send the CPU usuage sky rocketing. Well turns out it was his buddy icon that was screwing things up. So I just changed his icon. That solved all the problems. Everything is working great now.