panther instalation

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by crapday, Feb 21, 2004.

1. crapday macrumors newbie

Hi all, I need a bit of help here.
    I've got panther but can't install it, my slot loadind iMac g3 cd drive is broken, I have an external drive ( a Phillips Jackrabbit usb drive) but every time I try to install Panther the computer tells me to restart, when I restart i get the restart message again. I have tried to make the external cd drive the startup drive but when i restart all i get is a folder with a question mark and then it starts up whit the HD ( which has 10.8 installed on it ).
    Please can some one help.

Thanx.

crapday.:confused:

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I don't think you can boot from USB. Your system will see the CD in the USB drive and recognize that it has a system folder on it, but it won't boot.

Any way to get your hands on a Firewire drive? How broken is your internal drive?

3. crapday thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    well I made it a lot worse, it would not accept discs so i opened it up and broke a bit off. :(
    So if i buy a firewire cd drive then I should beable to install panther from that?:D

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Yep if you get an external FireWire HDD you will be able to install Mac OS X from that.

You probably can't install it from a USB drive because it won't boot from it and also you would be using USB 1.1 which is slow. Even if it worked it would take a good bit of time to install it anyways.

I would look on eBay for a replacement slot load drive for your iMac.