Panther install question!!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by 1macker1, Dec 3, 2003.

1. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

If I do a erase and install, how do I get connected back to the internet. I'm guessing it will wipe out my IP address. Also, will I have to set up my mail account again.

thanks;)

2. alset macrumors 65816

alset

You'll probably have to reconfigure a number of net settings. If you are worried that you won't be able to configure from scratch, just look at the settings in Mail.app and under your System Preferences and write down all the settings. If you have a broadband line you shouldn't have any problem getting back online on a fresh install. Then all you have to worry about is Mail.app.

Dan

3. 1macker1 thread starter macrumors 65816

1macker1

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

anything that uses dhcp seems to work very well with osx when it comes to not really having to setup anything but mail really. enjoy osx, its the os of the future; today!

5. 1macker1 thread starter macrumors 65816

1macker1

I've loaded Panther :), but i have 2 remarks.

1. It didnt give me the option of a clean install.

2. It didnt ask for disk 3.

did I do something wrong.

6. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I think disk 3 is only for x11 and additional loaclization and maybe some printer drivers. those are all things that only get installed if you select custom install and check those.

about the clean install issue.. you have to wipe the drive clean with disk utility first and then install. otherwise you're just installing it over jag or whatever version you had before and that is known to make a less stable os.

7. 1macker1 thread starter macrumors 65816

1macker1

Hey thank's for the info. I'll do a clean install....after I finish palying with the faster users switching :)

when trying to earse the hard drive, I get to the earse screen in disk utility, but there are no other options, where do i go from there?

8. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

thats the only option you need. you should select jounaled hfs extended as the format as it works well with panther and is more stable so less likley to have drive failures. its a file system used by unix servers. well, not the hfs part, the journaled part :)

9. 1macker1 thread starter macrumors 65816

1macker1

My options are greyed out.

Attached Files:

• me.jpeg
      me.jpeg
      File size:
      89.7 KB
      Views:
  10. mkaake macrumors 65816

yeah... as far as i know, unless something has changed from our os 9 days, you can't erase your boot volume. if you want to wipe that baby clean, you either need a second hard drive, or i'm guessing (someone wanna pitch in here) that you can boot from your x.2 or x.3 disc and run the utilities from there. then you should be able to 'ungrey' those options...

matt

11. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

mkaake is right. sorry, I just assumed you knew to run disk utility from the install disk. you cannot erase a booted volume.

12. 1macker1 thread starter macrumors 65816

1macker1

Doh! Ok, it makes I get the picture. Off to erase my drive.

13. 1macker1 thread starter macrumors 65816

1macker1

Ok, thank's for all the help, I've cleaned installed and Panther is running great!