Panther Install questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DEfusion, Mar 30, 2004.

1. DEfusion macrumors newbie

You have to excuse any ignorance as I haven't touched a mac in a few years.

Ok I have just got an old refurbished powerbook G3 for web testing... it came installed with OS 9 which has Internet Explorer 4.5 installed on it.

However to test in newer browsers (safari etc.) I'm going to install OS X when it arrives tomorrow. All the tutorials for a dual-boot system say to format the HD & then partition - but I don't have the original OS 9 discs.

I know OS X comes with OS 9.1 Classic too... can I install that for my browser testing (I want at least Internet Explorer 5.0). There are many different Internet Explorer browsers which can be found at evolt (http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/mac) but only a couple 5.1.4 & 5.1.7 say Classic...

Can I keep my current install of OS 9 intact & install Panther alongside it, without partitioning, or will OS 9.1 Classic be fine for my needs?

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance.

-D

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Reformatting/partitioning is not required. You can just install OS X on top of OS 9 and your OS 9 system will remain unchanged. Apple recommends upgrading to 9.2.2 first (free upgrade). They also have a tutorial for installing OS X on top of OS 9 at http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/installation/. Just make sure you meet the required specs: 3 GB hard disk space minimum, 128 MB RAM (an absolute minimum, there will be huge speed boosts if you increase it. I'd recommend at least 512 MB, but 256 is tolerable) etc.

No, OS X is OS X only. Classic comes with new Macs, not with OS X. But you'll be able to use your current OS 9 system to run Classic apps.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You know wrong. MacOS X 10.0 came with MacOS 9.1. MacOS X 10.1 came with MacOS 9.2. If you buy MacOS X 10.2 or MacOS X 10.3, you do not receive a copy of MacOS 9.x. If you want IE, you go to the source--Microsoft.

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Don't reformat the drive. You don't have to and, as was just pointed out, OS X does not come with OS 9--not even with classic support.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What do you mean, OS X doesn't come with Classic support? All versions of Mac OS X up to and including 10.3.3 support Classic, and can only use Classic if Mac OS 9.1 (9.0?) or later is installed, although use of Mac OS 9.2.2 for Classic is preferred.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I believe that you misinterpreted HorrorTaxi's statement. He said that MacOS X doesn't come with MacOS 9, not even with Classic support. His language was better than that of many who post here, but it was not perfect. I don't think that he intended to imply that MacOS X doesn't come with Classic support. As we all know, it does. I interpreted his comment to mean that even though MacOS X has Classic support, it doesn't come with a copy of MacOS 9.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're right - it wasn't clear to me that what you posted is what was intended. I just thought that I should point out that Classic is supported in Mac OS X but it's only usable with a working installation of Mac OS 9.

8. arsbanned macrumors newbie

9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Maybe I shouldn't post before the morning coffee.

Yes, there is classic support in OS X. You have to have your own classic OS though as that isn't included on Panther or Jaguar disk.

10. DEfusion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that. I got Panther installed perfectly. But how do I get to my OS 9.2.2 now... I passed an icon for OS 9 Classic somewhere when I was looking around OS X, but I can't find it now.

Also how does it launch OS 9 (when it was previously installed on the Mac) does it re-boot to OS 9 or does it open in a Emulation style window?

Thanks again for all your help.

-D

11. arsbanned macrumors newbie

When you run a program requring OS 9, it will just launch OS 9 automagically.

12. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Go to System Preferences, and under System there's an icon called 'Classic'. In it, select your system folder if it hasn't been automatically, and click Start (you don't actually have to do this, as Classic will automatically launch when you open a Classic application, but this way you don't have to wait as long for the application to load later). You may also want to click 'Start Classic when you login'. You can click 'Show Classic status in menu bar' if you like, which will give you access to a menu in the right of the menubar that lets you start, stop and restart classic, as well as giving you access to the OS 9 Apple Menu Items folder.

If you ever want to boot from OS 9 again, go to Startup Disk in System Preferences and select Mac OS 9 there.

Classic basically just runs as an application in the background. When you open a Classic application, the application will load looking like it did in Mac OS 9, so you'll have windows from both OS X and OS 9 (If that doesn't make much sense, try it and see).

13. arsbanned macrumors newbie

Yeah, what he said. :D It's interesting to be a complete n00b again. I'm very familiar with the Windows platform but pretty weak with OS X still, as you can tell. ;)