Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arimoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Hi, I'd love any feedback or advice on this... I'm trying to install Panther on a G3 Blue and White currently running OS X 10.2.8. I've updated the firmware, run Apple Hardware Test, tried it with and without 3rd party RAM, and verified that its video card (an ATI rage 128) and its driver should be reasonably compatible with the new OS. The machine can boot just fine to any other system CD. I'm using a ViewSonic G790 CRT monitor.

However, every time I boot to Panther's first disc, the display is totally screwed - grey, low contrast, textured and nearly impossible to read. It looks a bit like 16 bit graphics on a broken Nintendo. :confused:

I can click through the first part of the installer just fine but am reticent to go all the way since I'm worried it'll look like this post-installation - I can't read it well enough to install it anyway.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Any suggestions as to what else I can try? Thanks in advance for any ideas...

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Your post caught my eye. We use ViewSonic P810 21" monitors and I just recently installed Panther on our G3 B&W. No issues at all with the monitor going cosmo though. Have you tried seeing if the ViewSonic web site has any software updates to offer? other than booting to the Panther install disk do you see any problems at all in Classic or Jaguar? I'd call ViewSonic (I have found them very receptive to phone support) and see what they might offer.

Good Luck (I'm going to watch this thread)

arimoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Thanks for the advice. ViewSonic tells me that they make no Mac drivers and that Apple provides them, but I can't find any drivers for third party monitors in Apple's support area (or via Google). Does anyone know how to get ahold of Mac driver updates for ViewSonic monitors?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
arimoore said:
Thanks for the advice. ViewSonic tells me that they make no Mac drivers and that Apple provides them, but I can't find any drivers for third party monitors in Apple's support area (or via Google). Does anyone know how to get ahold of Mac driver updates for ViewSonic monitors?
Drivers? If you plug a VGA monitor into a compatible port on your Mac, it just works. The new Macs support DVI. If you have a digital monitor and DVI port on your Mac, plug it in. It will work.

Now you can worry if the electricity will work on your Mac.

arimoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
Any other ideas that could explain this problem, then? I'm stumped...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.