PANTHER INSTALLATION

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by theposse, May 25, 2004.

1. theposse macrumors regular

I'm running on 10.2.8 at the mo and my friend has just loaned me his panther discs,is it possible for me to install them on my computer and save all my apps such as dvd2onex and messenger or should i reinstall the system from scatch (as recommended by mac addict).
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    Scottie

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you have the means to backup all your data (documents and stuff) then do so, and do a clean install. It's always the best option.

3. theposse thread starter macrumors regular

copy to disc

So all i need to do is copy the software i have to disc and do a clean install

4. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

back up ANYTHING you don't want to lose.

5. reaper macrumors 6502

yup. i usually copy my user folder and anything else i have lying around i really don't want to download again and then just do a clean install.

- reaper

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

You realize, of course, that installing your friend's copy is a no no--right? I paid $129 (no, actually I paid $199 because I got the family license) and I don't want that to go up next time due to the warez crowd.

7. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I know I may sound like a broken record, but it looks like I have to repeat it again....I am so amazed at how many people have absolutely no regard for license agreements and the time/effort that is required for Apple to put out an OS like Panther. Pirating hurts the Mac platform a lot more than it does the Windoze side as the market is that much smaller. And please don't respond with all the standard arguments like "I would not buy it anyway so I am not hurting anyone by stealing it" because we've heard them all and they are no justification for theft. And not to berate the other responders to this thread (save Horrortaxi) but when it is so obvious right from the start that this guy is pirating we should not be giving him *any* assistance.....okay....phew....end rant now....oh yeah!

8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Yoiks

Looks like someone has touched Duff Man's nerve (and not in a good way either). ;)

Stealing software: it's not big and it's not clever. Buy your own version you cheapskate!!

Here endeth the lesson.