Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 27, 2002
So, I installed and ran Backup v.2. I was running Jaguar. I got everything backed up (thank God).

So I put my Panther install Disk 1 in, and I click "Install Mac OS X". So my computer asks me to restart.

Sure. Click.

Computer shuts down to restart.

Grey screen. Apple logo.

Kernel Panic.

Okay...

restart.

Kernel Panic.

Hmm....

Single user mode.

Nope. Kernel panic.

My computer is rendered completely useless. I can't do a thing with it. It won't even boot off of the Panther disk.

I have OS 9 on a separate partition. Anyone know how I could boot into 9? Once during a restart it did boot into 9 because it said it couldn't find my system folder. But I shut it down.

Any help would be appreciated.

scan300

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not sure, but try this. You will need a system CD other than Pather. 9 or 10.1 or 10.2.

First zap your parameter ram. (Command Option Shift P R) Hold these keys down after you start up. You should hear the system start-up sound, keep holding the keys till you hear the startup sound cycle about 3 times.

Then insert the system CD and see if you can boot off the CD.
Failing that, restart and hold down the C key with a system CD in the drive.

Once you managed to boot. Reformat your drive and try to reinstall Panther.

If you have further problems, remove any non-standard ram and other (non Apple) devices you may have installed and try to install then.

Hope this helps. I have Panther running fine on a 500 Mhz TiBook with 512Mb Ram.

PS. I was a bit confused by your story. You said you ran Backup 2 while running Panther. Then you tried to install Panther?

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 27, 2002
Oh, sorry. I ran backup 2 while using Jaguar.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Preventing KP's

Disconnect ALL peripheral devices before you begin.

The single most common cause of a KP is a hardware exception. even a Mouse can do it sometimes.

I'd say that the Hardware issue is most likely being that the KP happened in the first sequence after the board level check. If your machine chimes but won't boot, it's most likely NOT RAM as the machine wouldn't even chime at that point.

3 questions:

What version of OS 9 is installed?

Did you have any "haxies" or freeware (Cleardock, APE mods, etc) installed?

How many versions of OS X were installed on that machine?

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 27, 2002
Good news, guys. It was a bad install disk.

Whew...

Thanks for your help, though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.