Panther messed Help Viewer and files

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Brl777, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Brl777 macrumors newbie

2. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Can you give us some more details please? What do you mean by not working? The more details you give us, the easier it is to find a solution.

Also, have you repaired permissions?

3. Brl777 thread starter macrumors newbie

What I have done so far.

To fix this, I first called AppleCare, and was told to verify disk permissions, repair permissions, then do an archive and reinstall. That did not fix it. I checked some mac help web sites, and they suggested I delete the help files and folders in ~/library/preferences, and empty Trash. That did not fix it. I called Applecare once again, and he said I need to back up, erase and reinstall. I don't want to do that. Surely there is some better work around. Can I get the Help Viewer and files from Jaguar restored? I am new to the mac, and was so happy with Jaguar. I like some of the Panther features, but Appleworks will not run under this os. I appreciate all suggestions.

4. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

If an archive and install didn't fix it, then I'm pretty sure the problem is in your user's Library folder somewhere. To confirm this, create a new user and see if the problem occurs there (if it does, then I'm stumped). If it doesn't, then use a trial and error method to move folders out of your user's Library folder. Don't delete them, just move the first half to a temporary folder, which will narrow down the source, then have half of the 'corrupt' folders in Library to narrow it down further, and repeat until you've found the source (if the 'corrupt' folder is large, you may want to repeat this for the files inside to find the corrupt file).

You also mentions that AppleWorks won't work with Panther. It should work, so maybe it's the same problem. Test AppleWorks in another user as well to see if it works. Also try temporarily moving ~/Documents/AppleWorks User Data to see if that solves the problem.

5. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I know that you said you tried everything on the x lab site, but in your later reply you didn't mention deleting the contents of the help viewer cache folder. Both my girlfriend and I had problems with help viewer, and they were fixed by deleting the contents of your user home/library/caches/com.apple.helpui folder.

Good luck!

6. Brl777 thread starter macrumors newbie

Success and then failure

I created a new account, and the Help Viewer worked just fine. As I added my other apps to the new account, I had the same problem as before. The Viewer would freeze when I clicked on any of the Help answers. It is obviously one of those apps that is the culprit. Just where would the problem likely be - in the Help files of the apps or a conflict with Panther and the app itself?

7. littlejim Guest

Just wanted to say thanks for this info (and to Bri777 ... make sure you give this advice a shot).
    I too had problems with Help Viewer freezing on launch, and no amount of deleting preferences would work - but clearing out the cache did the trick!