panther need to be indexed or defraged?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by slipper, Dec 16, 2003.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

2. insidedanshead macrumors regular

prior to os X, i regularly defragged my drive... after a while though with over 120 gigs of data backing up before defragging was becoming a pain so i stopped.. after running jaguar for a while one day I decided to clean my drive and defrag.. to my dismay I saw NO difference.

In compliment to what most people say on these forums.. you don't need to defrag.

3. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

As far as I know...a lot of programs that defrags your hard drive will NOT let you defrag it if your using Mac OS X.3 (Panther) with the new HFS+ Journaling file system. I guess because the file system keeps notes on where everything is, there is no need to defrag your system.

I've tried defragging using both Drive 10 and TechTool Pro 4 and neither one will let me defrag because of the HFS+ Journaling file system.

4. Makosuke macrumors 603

No, if programs won't let you defrag with Journaling turned on, it's because they don't know how to handle moving files around at a low level on a journaled volume. Journaling in no way makes a drive faster or prevents fragmentation--it is merely a data integrity check, and actually slows things down in most cases.

HOWEVER... 10.3 also includes some auto-defrag and optimization routines that have already been discussed. These are the reason that 10.3 probably doesn't need defragmenting under most conditions.

Defragmenting OSX seemed to be a more and more meaningless proposal as the OS got more efficient about file use, so I haven't bothered in a while.

5. Doxxic macrumors newbie

I thought Mac OS X defragged the disk automatically in idle time...

6. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

I defrag and....

it was a disaster, after i quit Norton's the black screen of death showed up, had to re-initialize the drive, I smartly had backed up everything to my powerbook and external fw HD, but stay away from it I dont recommend it. the best thing is to just get Cocktail, seems to be beningn for Panther.

7. kenkooler macrumors regular

10.3 defragments files < 10mb when you open them.

8. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky