panther need to be indexed or defraged?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by slipper, Dec 16, 2003.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
  2. insidedanshead macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    prior to os X, i regularly defragged my drive... after a while though with over 120 gigs of data backing up before defragging was becoming a pain so i stopped.. after running jaguar for a while one day I decided to clean my drive and defrag.. to my dismay I saw NO difference.

In compliment to what most people say on these forums.. you don't need to defrag.
  3. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    As far as I know...a lot of programs that defrags your hard drive will NOT let you defrag it if your using Mac OS X.3 (Panther) with the new HFS+ Journaling file system. I guess because the file system keeps notes on where everything is, there is no need to defrag your system.

I've tried defragging using both Drive 10 and TechTool Pro 4 and neither one will let me defrag because of the HFS+ Journaling file system.
  4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    No, if programs won't let you defrag with Journaling turned on, it's because they don't know how to handle moving files around at a low level on a journaled volume. Journaling in no way makes a drive faster or prevents fragmentation--it is merely a data integrity check, and actually slows things down in most cases.

HOWEVER... 10.3 also includes some auto-defrag and optimization routines that have already been discussed. These are the reason that 10.3 probably doesn't need defragmenting under most conditions.

Defragmenting OSX seemed to be a more and more meaningless proposal as the OS got more efficient about file use, so I haven't bothered in a while.
  5. Doxxic macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2003
    I thought Mac OS X defragged the disk automatically in idle time...
  6. Mlobo01 macrumors 6502

Jan 23, 2003
    Weehawken New Jersey
    I defrag and....

it was a disaster, after i quit Norton's the black screen of death showed up, had to re-initialize the drive, I smartly had backed up everything to my powerbook and external fw HD, but stay away from it I dont recommend it. the best thing is to just get Cocktail, seems to be beningn for Panther.
  7. kenkooler macrumors regular

Jan 2, 2002
    Mexico City
    10.3 defragments files < 10mb when you open them.
  8. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003