Panther Network

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Brundlefly, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Brundlefly macrumors member

Brundlefly

Just wondering, we have PC's here, and getting Jaguar to work was quite a feat.

Is Panther going to make this task easier?:confused:

2. appleguy macrumors 6502

appleguy

I had no problems. but then I just installed Panther over the top of jag that was already set up.. :p

3. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

Panther to Panther

I tried a Panther to Panther network last night for the first time. After the file transfer was done, I disconnected from the server - my roomates 12" PB. Wow, I thought - that was great! However, this morning I was checking my email and surfing with Safari and the Finder got all unresponsive... seconds later, and I got a message that it couldn't connect to my roomates PB... Huh? I thought... There was a disconnect button so I pressed it.... nothing the Finder was still not responsive. Force quite and a relaunch did nothing... Typing Top into the terminal displayed nothing was running. I ended up doing a shutdown. I actually had to have another app open to get to the Shutdown option. So, any ideas? Why would the system go down just because it couldn't find a connection? That is just crazy. Maybe data CD's are still the best method of file transfer.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Networking is still ok. Since getting Panther, Finder has became unresponcive maybe only twice due to networking error. I still think Panther needs a Panic button that'll disconnect from all servers immediately.

5. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

I'm not going to risk it again... a panic disconnect from all servers button would be nice addition for panther... although the disconnect now button didn't want to work.
    Overall, I am impressed with Panthers stability. I think mac and the network need to be more safe though. I haven't tried it yet (under panther), but everytime in Jag I would get a kernal panic when I couldn't find a Windows machine. I think it's nutso for the OS to freak out just because an IP address changed, or someone decided to turn off file sharing. What's wrong with a message that says... Sorry, nobody home - try again.

Hey how about an easy no hassle networking iApp. Apple could call it iShare. No internet or ftp ability - just local networking. This way , the iApp will crash - and not the whole system.