Panther on a 333 iMac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Horrortaxi, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I've seen a couple questions about this so I wanted to share my experience. Yesterday I installed Panther on my mom's 333mhz iMac with 288mb. It's definitely worth doing. The interface doesn't feel clunky like it did in Jaguar. It is pretty peppy now. It's still a 333 so if you tax the processor it will crawl, but the overall feel is much better.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

This is GREAT news. It'll save the high school I do IT work at over the summer about 20,000 dollars! We replaced a lab of 24 Bondi's with new eMacs this summer, and this next summer we are talking about either replacing another lab of 24 450/500 MHz Ruby's with new computers, but if we can just install Panther and get another year or two, this is awesome news.

Interesting that the latest Mac OS works decent on 4 year old Macs, meanwhile the two year old Gateway boxes on the campus here running at 900 MHz are struggling with basic operations in Windows 2000.

3. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I'm running Panther on my mom's iMac DV 400 (using it right now), and I couldn't be happier. I honestly don't feel I'm using a 5 year old computer. When people ask, "How old is this thing?", they are uterly shocked when I tell them five years. Their year-old PC's are crapping out on them. That's when I smile and let them in on a secret: Windows sucks. :D

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

can you guys help me out? panter wont install on my imac500 cause it says i dont have the updated firmare... but i cant find anything on apples site... any ideas?

5. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

runing a g3 iMac 400 panther with 128sdram i am happy and content

only one problem cant use the user swithc cube of course i know wy but hell ill wait till i get a new Mac some day

6. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

gwuMACaddict there should be firm ware updates on panthers insatll disks i think and there should be some on apples site iam sure of it

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

none on the install discs as far as i can tell... cant find any recent ones on the site either. i had to update my firmware last to install 10.2. so i dont know whats up... any ideas?

8. xtbfx macrumors regular

xtbfx

This is very good news. I have an iMac DV+ (450 I think).
    I was kind of hesitant on installing it, but now I think I will.

9. mraudet macrumors newbie

just noticed this

why can't you use the user switch cube effect?

10. mraudet macrumors newbie

just noticed this

why can't you use the user switch cube effect?

11. mraudet macrumors newbie

skip it

i just answered my own question. :rolleyes: carry on...

12. DillHarris macrumors member

Running it on 233 iMac w/320mb ram. Much smoother than Jag. Expose is a godsend for managing windows on such a small screen.

13. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

are you up to date? the correct firmware for your is 4.1.9 the update is available on apple's software downloads page.

14. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i put panther on my 500mhz imac and installed one of the maxtor diamondmax plus 9 7200rpm 8meg drives and it feels like a new machine. everything is faster.

15. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

isnt this an OS9 updatre though...? or do i need to go boot up in 9 and install it?

thanks for helping me out

16. DillHarris macrumors member

Straight from the Apple's mouth... "To install the iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9, your iMac (Slot Loading) computer must be started up from Mac OS 9.1, or 9.2, which must be installed on the hard disk. You cannot install the firmware update if the computer is started up from a CD-ROM, or a network disk. If you normally start up the computer with Mac OS X, you must start up from Mac OS 9.1 or 9.2. The iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9 is available on the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 in this path:
    Mac OS X:Utilities:Firmware Updates:iMac Firmware Update

You may also download it from Apple Software Downloads. See software download document 75130, "iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9: Information and Download."

17. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

233 mhz imac, 512 MB, 20 GB drive and still going. it's like a restored clunker classic car--maybe not the best handling or quickest around, but she does well. this doesn't mean, of course, i don't want something new...

18. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

I think the cube effect only works on new hardware or more ramm etc seeming iam using only 128sdram iam supprised that exspose works so well

will admit thought that the whole system like so many have said already feels like a new machine. It maybe not the greatests in the speed Department but at least it runs faster than Jag.

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My mom uses a 333MHz iMac, so if I get a dual 1.8 (which is extremely tempting) I will install panther on my mom's comp.

It is SLOW as hell, so she needs it.

scem0

20. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

thanks for the help guys... i was just a little confsued when i had to go back in to OS9 to fix everything... panther is up and running, takes a little getting used to- but it does seem to make the computer a little faster- esp on startup

21. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I upgraded my Daughters iMac G3 500 Indigo FW CD to Panther. I increased the ram to 320. And put in a Maxton Ultra Series 120GB 7,200 RPM Drive with 8MB Cache, and this little puppy is much more responsive than my old iMac 1GHZ G4 with jaguar. Panter rocks. Yea, it may have some issues, but overall. OS is much, much better.

Expose rocks. I am actually suprised that it works with only 8 MB of video ram. Yea, I wished the fast user switching cube would work too. ;)

22. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

You're pushin' it a bit there buddy ;)
    I have a rev. D 333 MHz Strawberry iMac and it's "barely" 4.5 years old. Release date on thos slot-loading one's was Juily 2000.

Still, it's pretty impressive that it's doin' so good after more than 3 years :p