Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rlhubley

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2003
Austin
I have a G3 B&W 400 mhz, with 512 mb ram and am running 10.1.x. I just ordered and iBook and had an extra copy of Panther thrown in. What kind of speed improvements can I expect? Also, should I do regular install, or the ol' format hard drive and then install?

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
I would say format everything and do a long format (don't know exactly how it's called in English, only did it a couple of times in Dutch). Every file will be deleted and you have a clean HD, no clutter from half deleted files! The improvements in speed of Panther will be huge, the system will probably feel twice as fast, as not faster, that's waht I had when I installed jaguar and I have the same machine with the same specs as yours!

Let me know how it feels. I just ordered a dual 1.8 and also gonna install panther on this ole' B&W!

rlhubley

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2003
Austin
I did a clean install this weekend of Panther. HUGE improvement in performance. I am very happy so far, but have not had time to do much with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.