panther on blueberry ibook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jonmichael23, Dec 23, 2003.

1. jonmichael23 macrumors newbie

Hello, I just bought an iBook 300 Mhz with 64 mb ram, 6 gb hd. I am definately putting in a 512 stick in the empty slot, so that should help performance in os x dramatically. Problem is I only have 50 dollars at the moment (I'm 14) and I won't be able to get the ram for another 2 to 3 weeks. This meaning I will have to live with the 64 built-in ram and virtual memory. I hate OS 9, and I'd rather run os x if it didn't even go faster then a snail. Anyone try to install panther on anything less then 128 mb ram? I know it says at least 128 mb of physical ram on the box, but I've heard of people using jaguar on 64 mb ram and i think its box says the same thing. I have jaguar install discs as well that I could use put I heard panther increases minimizing, maximizing windows. Also, my friend has a 333 Mhz iMac with 288 mb ram. His windows dont look nearly as cool as mine do when he minimizes, maximizes, uses expose ( i have new 17" iMac ) altho they do still look cooler then anything a wintel can do. When I put in the 512 and have 576 mb ram this will be double his, will this help the graphics any? Or is it the actual graphics card (nvidia) that does this? Any help would be appreciated!

Jonathan

2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

the iMacs at my school had OSX installed on them, extremely slow even with 256mb ram and better processor and graphics then the ibook they were 350 mhz i think

3. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

Good luck, i wouldnt even try until you get the extra ram. Expose' and the other cool graphics are dependant on the graphics card, they need quartz extreme which leaves your ibook out :(

4. vniow macrumors G4

Expose worked fine on my blueberry when I had it, not as fast as my 900Mhz but it worked fine.

If you're going to run Panther on an older clamshell like that, maxing out the RAM is the first thing you should do. I would also recommend a hard drive upgrade but that's only for the hardware savvy.

Panther is noticabely faster than Jaguar on an older machine like that, if you're going to run OSX on that, I'd make sure its the latest version.

Good luck,

-V

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Get the RAM, it won't run without it. Expose will run, it will just be a little laggy. Quartz extreme doesn't really add very much to the general feel of things, but you will notice that OS X runs pretty slowly. You will be happy to have the 576 RAM.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

A note amount iBook RAM quantity:
    jonmichael23 and OutThere761, the iBook 300MHz model has a maximum of 320MB RAM.

jonmichael23, do yourself a favor and pick up the 256MB Generic RAM chip listed here under: "256MEG PC100 SO DIMM FOR APPLE IBOOK"

Oh, and it's $49.

7. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

On my old 500Mhz iBook, I was putting in a 512 stick and it wasn't recognized, so I booted into OS 10.2 Server with only 64Megs of RAM. It did run, but I only used it long enough to figure out why it was so slow then shut it down again. I would not recommend it at all for everyday use. I'm pretty sure the old clamshell iBooks don't have a fan, and you'd tax the CPU pretty heavily. My 800Mhz iBook gets hot enough as it is ...

8. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Well, I have an iBook 466mhz SE, when I first bought Mac OS X (10.1) I installed in on my iBook, which only had 64mb at the time. It will run, but not that well, also Classic requires more RAM. If you try and startup Classic with 64mb it tells you you should have at least 128, but allows you to continue. I recomend getting the RAM, I did. Now I have 320mb and it runs Panther great. Sure Exposé and some Finder animations are a tad slow (not that noticable) but it should be fine. I now have a PowerBook and my brother has my iBook. I sugest doing a clean install and wipe off the old system. It seems to make the Mac run better :D Merry Christmas (Happy Holidays)

9. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

If you don't have enough RAM, OS X will not install. I tried it on an iMac 333 with 64MB--no good. The same iMac now has 288MB and Panther and it runs great. Exposé/minimizing won't look as cool but they'll work--I think it's a hardware thing. You also won't get the cube effect during fast user switching, but that's all extra stuff.

You should be able to put a 512MB stick of RAM in that iBook. Apple reports it holding less memory but they under report RAM on older computers. Maybe when they wrote their manual there were no 512 sticks?

10. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....although I no longer have my old iBook 300, when I did I ran versions of X from Public Beta to 10.1 on it....ran fine for basic mail and internet surfing and a little word processing....but you gotta have that extra ram installed....oh yeah!

11. jonmichael23 thread starter macrumors newbie

iBook is here......

I have it. It has a 6 gb hard drive, I was worried it would have a 3.2..... OS X is a no go, tried installing and it just stalled at the installer and doesn't do anything. OS 9 runs good tho. Once I get a 512 stick, it should run OS X Panther all right, right? Will this make minimizing and other graphics better, and will the block effect work or would I need a better graphics card (what cards does/can the ibook handle?) I have 64 built-in so it'll have 576 mb ram which I hope will run Panther good. If a graphics card upgrade would help it I'd certainly get it since I won't be upgrading the hard drive. Also I heard of other peoples clamshell ibook's cd rom going ka-put. Whats the cause of this? Mine seems to work fine I've played like 7 cds on it. Any help appreciated! :D

Jonathan

12. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Well actually, I just looked in the mactracker database and it also says that 320 is supported by Apple, BUT the actual maximum ram is 544 or 576. So put a 512 mb stick in there!!

13. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Re: iBook is here......

Yep. Even if you let it run for a day it won't do anything but spin the CD and stare at you. Once you get enough memory it will be fine.

No cube effect. You're just not going to get it out of that computer. There are no upgrades.

Remember that this is a 4 year old laptop. It will still work fine for a lot of tasks but you're not going to break speed records with it.