Panther on DVD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cmaracz88, Apr 24, 2005.

1. cmaracz88 macrumors member

Does that mean that CD-Rom based systems can't isntall it? Such as my CD-Rom drive Apple iBook 800mhz? I'm a bit confused. Thanks.

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

not sure if apple will sell you panther now or not. if it's DVD based then yes you need a combo drive to install it. or another computer with a combo drive to install it. i heard you can use target mode or what have you to use drives off other machines over firewire (still haven't tried this, wish i had 2 macs :p).

if apple does still sell panther, you could probably get the cdrom version from them for an extra fee of like $10 or so.

if you're talking about Tiger (10.4, that was just announced) then goto www.apple.com, click OS X on the top bar, then scroll down on the right side there's a box for Media Exchange (i think) that for $10 will allow you to order the cdrom version

3. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

Yup, I meant Tiger hehe.

4. agentbob macrumors newbie

5. Venture37 macrumors newbie

Venture37

Attached Files:

6. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

If you have acess to another cumputer with a DVD player, you can put your computer in firewire target disk mode and install from the other computer. (This is how I installed Tiger on my computer)

7. Venture37 macrumors newbie

Venture37

Yep, I wrote the guide when I only had one mac (500mhz G3 iBook with combo drive)