Panther on DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zen, Oct 14, 2003.

1. zen macrumors 65816

zen

Just been talking to somebody who is expecting Panther to be packaged as a DVD.

Surely Panther would come as a set of CDs, with maybe a DVD as well (didn't iLife come on CDs and a DVD?). There are a lot of Panther-compatible macs that don't have DVD drives!

Jaguar just came on 2 CDs IIRC...

Zen

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

I've heard that Panther comes on 3 cd's......

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

They have to make it on CDs because alot of the iMacs came with cd-rw drives, not cd-rw/dvd drives. Even the 600mhz imac (last crt model) had only cd-rw.

Also, some of the recent iBooks only had cd-rw if i remember correctly.

4. GigaWire macrumors 6502

Hell, they are still selling iBooks with CD-ROM drives

5. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

It won't be on DVD until the earliest supported computer had a DVD drive for sure. For example, the computer's Apple sells now are starting to all have DVD drives, except for the iBook, as noted.

6. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Didn't FCP come on, like, 4 DVDs?

Panther's on CD, but in a couple of years... who knows?

8. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

If you're using Final Cut Pro, you're almost certainly going to have a dvd-rom drive at least. Most systems able of running it have at least that, if not burners. The system requirements for Final Cut are much higher than those of the OS.

edit: in fact, it says in the system requirements that a DVD drive is required for installation, so it's an advertised requirement. If it was necessary to use 4 DVD's, imagine how many CDs that would be! Somewhere close to 24!

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

unfourtunatley panther will be on cds but i wish i could order a DVD version.. dvd os's are soo much nicer.... apple requires a DVD drive for pro apps like FCP so it doesn't matter how they package that..similarly iDVD was too big for a single cd and it was just easier

10. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I don't know the details of the retial version on Jaguar, but depending on the machine ordered, you got either DVD or CDs.
    I bought a TiBook a few months back, and Jag was on DVD with that system.

11. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

A system install disk is different than the retail version. Those CDs, or DVDs are designed specifically for the system that they come with. In fact, there have been people who tried to install OS X on, for example, a PowerBook using an iBook specific disk, and it really messed up their computer.

12. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i've seen a lot of posts by people on other boards to the effect of:

"dude, why don't they just ship panther on a dvd. that would be kewl. any mac that can run panther has a dvd drive anyway"

as others have mentioned, apple is still selling computers without dvd drives, not to mention the millions of computers sold in the past 4 years that support osx but don't have drives. a dvd option would be nice for those with drives, but it will not happen for a good while.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They could package it for retail but they'd have to keep two packages and track two packages. It's probably more costly than it's worth in convenience at this point.

Apple has just recently been shipping DVDs periodically, in addition to CDs, to developers.

I'm sure as soon as they feel comfortable with the cost of the media and there is an overwhelming number of DVD drives out there, they'll be glad to ship all their software on DVD.

14. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

why not like iLife. When i got that it had the DVD and CD in there. Ship both in the box so people like me with my kickass (hmm, who else says that? :D) MDD can use my DVD drive and install it quicker and then the little people with thier non-DP machines can still use it.

(really, i think you get the point - ship both)

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sure, you just want it to be convenient. :) Slip it in, start it up, and go eat.

I remember when IBM OS/2 went from something like 24 diskettes to 1 CD-ROM--it was heaven! :D

Would you want it on DVD if they charged extra money to put both in the box? I would imagine their charging 10 USD and 20 AUS extra.

16. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I'm sure it wouldn't cost that much.
    I too hope that Apple will put a Panther DVD in the box alongside the 3 CD's (+ XCode?), making the purchase even more attractive.
    We'll see. 9 days to go :)

17. LimeLite macrumors 6502a

LimeLite

That's because everything but iDVD would fit on one CD. iDVD doesn't fit on a CD, it has to come on DVD. And since not all people who can use iLife have DVD drives, and since anyone using iDVD needs a superdrive, it works out. With the OS, if they made a copy for everyone on CDs, there's absolutely no reason to make a whole new copy on DVD if you're shipping them together.

So as you can see, shipping them together in iLife makes sense. Shipping it like that with Panther, doesn't really.