Panther on Old Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by CommonMan, Oct 16, 2006.

1. CommonMan macrumors regular

CommonMan

I purchased a used Mac (see signature) on which OS 10.3 (panther) is loaded. This Mac only has 6 gigs of HD. Some people have indicated that this G3 cannot properly handle OS 10.3. Others have encouraged me to update to Tiger. Any comments or recommendations?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Your machine should work just fine with Panther. I would stick with 10.3 as Tiger is more resource hungry. What speed G3 is in your PowerMac?

3. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

If you can a gig of cheap PC100 RAM and like a cheap 20 or 40gb hard drive, you'll be a fine candidate for Tiger

4. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The RAM idea is a good one. I've run Panther on two older machines (Pismo 500 and iMac 350) since its release with no probs.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm going to agree that it'll probably be the most comfortable with 10.3.

But DEFINITELY put at least 512MB of RAM in it if you don't already have that much. 6GB of hard drive is workable, but pretty slim--given the price at which a larger drive can be bought (you can easily get an 80GB disk for under $50 shipped from, say, ZipZoomFly.com, and another $10 or so will get you 120GB), I'd recommend getting one if you can afford it. But the RAM is definitely a priority.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I'll say again you will want to go with more ram and Tiger. With Leopard around the corner, suddenly Panther is going to seem very out dated, and software and hardware will slowly start not supporting it. Tiger is perfectly fine on older hardware.

7. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

whenever ive had a slow computer running OS X ive turned off spotlight (10.4), turn off dashboad (10.4), window shadows (unsanity haxie), tunred on PCI extreme (PCI based mac), scale effect instead of genie for window minimizing, turn off dock animation, soft overclocking the video card

when installing the OS, omit things like extra printer drivers, language translations, fonts to save HDD space. 6GB can fill up fast

if ur feeling daring there's a jumper block for overclocking the CPU multiplier under a void warranty sticker on the motherboard. u can use small 1mm jumpers to overclock it. at the very least u could get a few more MHz out of it

more RAM will make the OS faster more than any small tweaks

every little bit helps on slow macs

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

When looking at RAM and hard drives:
    The hard drive is an IDE (parallel ATA) drive and must not be larger than 128 Mb

The RAM needs to be 16-chip PC100 256 Mb. The machine won't support 512 Mb modules, and modern 8-chip PC100 and PC133 modules will not work.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

9. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Just to cheerlead further for the b/w, Panther will run fine in that machine, just up the RAM (and if you have the discs, re-install Panther minimally, so that it is under a gig in size, if possible), and have fun!

Oh, and though I'm sure CanadaRAM's spec comments are accurate, I have gotten my machine to recognize SOME PC133 chips. Not 512mb of PC100 or PC133, though.

10. CommonMan thread starter macrumors regular

CommonMan

Ram

I have a total of a gig of RAM in my machine. I'm keeping most non-OS files on an external HD. I don't know what the benefits of moving from panther to tiger would be. I'm still learning about panther since I am relatively new to Macs.:)

11. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

They'll quickly become apparent once Leopard is out. Panther-compatible software will stop being produced in no time.

In terms of how to use the OS, there isn't much different between Panther and Tiger. It's all about the new features, and new underhood technologies.

12. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I have installed Panther on an old G3 350 Mhz with DVD ROM drive with 6 gbytes HDD and it works just fine.

13. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

well u can use most pc133, and some 512mb simms, but they only show up as 256. i have used them in my blue/white g3