Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peppz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Sweden /Luleå
I have read some about installing panther on a wallstreet and the difficulties.
I have understand that if i only have 96mb ram then i can install it.
Anyway, it wines about that i have only 96mb memory but i can install it requires a reboot, when it reboot its starts from the cd again and starts the installationsprogram again. If i eject the cd it wount read the harddrive..
With OS 9.2.1 i have no problem, just install and everything runs smooth.
I have reset the PMU and PRAM witout results.

Any ides about what can be wrong?

peppz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Sweden /Luleå
cluthz said:
Did you manage to get more than 256 color display??

Yepp! Millions of colors do i use.
I had some problems in the beginning because my screen went purple sometimes but i removed å file called "ATIRageProGA.plugin" from.... uhh.. i think from /System/libaries/extensinons/ or something. When i start Panthter it wines about the file... havent had any other problems.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Your lucky, most people don't get more than 256 colors when running panther on a wallstreet!

Consider running in thousands instead of millions, the gpu is probably stressed enough...

peppz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Sweden /Luleå
cluthz said:
Your lucky, most people don't get more than 256 colors when running panther on a wallstreet!

Consider running in thousands instead of millions, the gpu is probably stressed enough...

I followed your advice and put down the colors to thousands.. Everything runs smoother now.
Thakns för the advice ;)

peppz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Sweden /Luleå
Well... my wallstreet have worked ok until today..
Today i updated the system with some updates from Apple and now i have problems with the graphics, the colors are kind of "blurred" or something..
The colors are messed up!
Anyone have a tip how i can fix this?

I hope you understand... my english isn't really that good ;)

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
Quick question..

Peppz,
Are the contrast and brightness buttons at the base of the LCD hinge on your Wallstreet detected correctly by 10.3?
I loaded 10.2 on my Wallstreet last night (was a mighty resurrection) and the brightness button works, but contrast button is controlling sound volume.
The contrast on my display is pretty wacky too.. It frequently goes all-white and I have to re-calibrate the display.
Just wondering if you're seeing any of this behavior with 10.3. If not, I may have to upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3. :rolleyes:

peppz

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2004
Sweden /Luleå
mahashel said:
Peppz,
Are the contrast and brightness buttons at the base of the LCD hinge on your Wallstreet detected correctly by 10.3?
I loaded 10.2 on my Wallstreet last night (was a mighty resurrection) and the brightness button works, but contrast button is controlling sound volume.
The contrast on my display is pretty wacky too.. It frequently goes all-white and I have to re-calibrate the display.
Just wondering if you're seeing any of this behavior with 10.3. If not, I may have to upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3. :rolleyes:

No, i dont have that problem.
Everything works great :)

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
mahashel said:
Peppz,
Just FYI... the reason that the "contrast" button is controlling the sound is because it is a volume control button. There is no physical contrast control on the Wallstreet series PowerBooks.

You may want to take a quick look at the user manual before pressing too many other buttons. ;)

Attachments

• wallstreet.gif
    wallstreet.gif
    20.8 KB · Views: 105

mahashel

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2005
"the lab"
Just FYI... the reason that the "contrast" button is controlling the sound is because it is a volume control button. There is no physical contrast control on the Wallstreet series PowerBooks.

Ahh.. I suck. ;)
Pulled the powerbook out of the closet a year after I de-commissioned it, and apparently I need to spend some quality time with it as a 're-acquaintance' exercise. :D
I'm excited that OSX runs on it at all.
SO.. good to know that 10.3 doesn't have the bizarro all-white LCD issues.
Thanks for the info!

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
mahashel said:
SO.. good to know that 10.3 doesn't have the bizarro all-white LCD issues.
Neither does 10.2... I think that is an issue that is unique to your system.

I've had 10.2 running continuously (24/7) since it was installed on my Wallstreet back on Sept. 18 2002 without any issues like what you have described. This system runs flawlessly. It was only restarted once in calendar year 2004 and has a current uptime of 100 days (and 16 hours).

There is a very good chance that if you are getting an all-white display that it may be hardware related and not software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.