panther pre-installed on machines

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by raiderz182, Oct 17, 2003.

1. raiderz182 macrumors regular

after october 24th.. will panther be pre-installed on the systems when you buy it.. or will you have to buy panther seperately just to upgrade

2. Elenita macrumors member

3. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Just out of curiosity, what do the Apple retail stores do with all of their pre-boxed systems w/ 10.2.x installed? If after 10/24, they still have a big stack of Jaguar Systems, do they send them back to have Panther put on them, or do they just hand you a boxed copy with your purchase?

Just wondering..

4. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

I think usually your Mac will be delivered with the install CDs if it is not pre-installed.

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Well i read somewhere that there would be no new Macs at Apple Stores until November... this maybe be because Apple will included 10.3 + install discs with the new macs and ship them out to the Apple stores by November 1st.

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

ok they won't definately have panther installed on that date it depends on stocks and pending updates for machines ... (think ibooks ) Either that day or at the party they will say all new macs will have panther pre-installed after this date ...

7. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Cool, i'm waiting on the new Apple Store to open outside of Portland to buy my PB. It's supposedly opening on Nov 15, so that should be plenty of time.

8. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I ordered a 15" 1.25 GHz PowerBook on the 9th, and it isn't scheduled to ship until October 27th or thereabouts. My thoughts are that new machines may be held off from shipping a bit longer so that Panther can be pre-installed. But there's no guarantee unless you order right after the announcement.

9. Alex Bischoff macrumors newbie

Does all of this discussion also apply to authorized online dealers, as opposed to just brick-and-mortar Apple stores? I plan on buying a 1.25 GHz 15" PowerBook online, but I want to wait until I can be sure that Panther will be preloaded :).

10. straphound macrumors member

Panther and New Macs

I actually talked to the Apple Store in Columbus, Ohio today about this. I am buying a new 12" PB on Friday and asked them if it would at least come with the install CD's. They told me that it will not but will include the voucher for the $ 20 Panther that will only work online!

11. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

Jag in Apple Store

Today (10/21/03) in my local Apple Store they were not only featuring Jaguar on display as a software purchase but also offering a Jaguar workshop. The sales guy was touting it as "Apple's new operating system". Odd.