Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
Hi all,

I've installed from scratch Panther 7B74.
I've a multipart dmg image (.dmg and .dmgpart files) that mounted fine on Jaguar.

I'm having serious troubles on mounting them under Panther and it looks to be a bug in Panther. If I double click on the .dmg file I see the "zooming" effect but the DiskImageMounter does not even start (I can't see the jumping icon in the dock). I tried the demo version of DropDMG and it says that there is a path error in the .dmg files. I even tried Toast 5.2 and 6.0 and both crash when I drop the .dmg file on them.

Any idea of how I can mount them? or how can I make a single .dmg file from the .dmgpart files?

Anidel.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Well, there's a number of issues. First, if you mounted the 7B74 boot disk (first CD .dmg file) under Jaguar, without locking the .dmg first, the resulting CD will not be bootable. Second, to burn the images, start Disk Copy, select burn from the file menu, then select the .dmg file for the CD you want to burn. The remaining .dmgpart segments will be included in the image automatically. Burn all three CD images, then insert the first CD in Jaguar and select it from the Startup Disk dialogue. Restart the system. It should boot up from the Panther Install CD.

HTH

anidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by daveL
Well, there's a number of issues. First, if you mounted the 7B74 boot disk (first CD .dmg file) under Jaguar, without locking the .dmg first, the resulting CD will not be bootable. Second, to burn the images, start Disk Copy, select burn from the file menu, then select the .dmg file for the CD you want to burn. The remaining .dmgpart segments will be included in the image automatically. Burn all three CD images, then insert the first CD in Jaguar and select it from the Startup Disk dialogue. Restart the system. It should boot up from the Panther Install CD.

HTH

it's not a problem with the 7B74 .dmg files (I already burned them from Jaguar). I installed and I'm actually running Panther. Panther does not have Disk Copy anymore. The problem is that Panther, not Jaguar, is not able to mount multipart .dmg files (I know it'll include automatically the other .dmgpart files).

Anidel.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
you just need to drag the original part of the .dmg there should be like 10-20 parts to disk utility, just select the last one, which should not have any numbers after it. you can mount and burn from there

anidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
you just need to drag the original part of the .dmg there should be like 10-20 parts to disk utility, just select the last one, which should not have any numbers after it. you can mount and burn from there

ehehe seems no one understands the problem here :) I do that...
I did everything...I know how to mount or burn a multipart .dmg ... but Panther WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO DO THAT! :)

The DiskImageMounter that is the default action when you double click on it WILL NOT START.

The DropDMG program says they contains errors when running under Panther. The same DropDMG program opens them smoothly.

The Toast programs (5.2 and 6.0) under Jaguar open them with no problem and I can also burn the image. UNDER PANTHER THEY CRASH.

:p
:)

Anidel.

Laslo Panaflex

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2003
Tokyo
I have come across the same problem, disk utility in panther just crashes, its a bug. The way I solved it is just to boot into Jaguar and burn the images there.

Hope this helps.

amin

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Originally posted by anidel
ehehe seems no one understands the problem here :) I do that...
I did everything...I know how to mount or burn a multipart .dmg ... but Panther WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO DO THAT! :)

The DiskImageMounter that is the default action when you double click on it WILL NOT START.

The DropDMG program says they contains errors when running under Panther. The same DropDMG program opens them smoothly.

The Toast programs (5.2 and 6.0) under Jaguar open them with no problem and I can also burn the image. UNDER PANTHER THEY CRASH.

:p
:)

Anidel.

Strange, Toast 6 worked fine in both Jaguar and Panther for this purpose in my experience. I just burn the DMG file (without mounting it first) and the rest goes smoothly.

anidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by Laslo Panaflex
I have come across the same problem, disk utility in panther just crashes, its a bug. The way I solved it is just to boot into Jaguar and burn the images there.

Hope this helps.

Yep this will work for sure...
But there's no way to merge them into one .dmg file?

Because it's works if the image is in one .dmg file.
I tried to cat them all in one file, but it didn't work :)

Anidel

anidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by amin
Strange, Toast 6 worked fine in both Jaguar and Panther for this purpose in my experience. I just burn the DMG file (without mounting it first) and the rest goes smoothly.

Have you tried a multipart .dmg file?
They work for me too when the .dmg is one file...they crash when it is a multipart one.

Anidel

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
maybe you should read the the developer notes on installation instructions ;)

iJon

anidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by iJon
maybe you should read the the developer notes on installation instructions ;)

iJon

uhm...is they're in the images ok :) if not...ehm...:)

Anidel

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Originally posted by anidel
uhm...is they're in the images ok :) if not...ehm...:)

Anidel
lol, i just find these threads hilarious. people who get the builds legally obviously have the info on how to do a perfect burn flawlessly. its funny seeing people who get them from p2p and are trying to burn them and stuff. just makes me wonder why apple doesnt release these beta builds to everyone :)

iJon

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
maybe you shouldn't have installed panther if you expect everything to work right. i don't think you can even call it a "bug" if the software hasn't been released, what a joke. My suggestion would be to either a) accept your current limitations or b) use jaguar until panther is actually legally released.

pnw

anidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by iJon
lol, i just find these threads hilarious. people who get the builds legally obviously have the info on how to do a perfect burn flawlessly. its funny seeing people who get them from p2p and are trying to burn them and stuff. just makes me wonder why apple doesnt release these beta builds to everyone :)

iJon

ehehe yes it's funny :)
But it's not what happening here :)
I burned and installed them perfectly.
Simply the new Panther 7b74 does have a bug in handling multipart .dmg files :)

PS: I always wondered why the do not release at least the Alpha versions to everyone. It would help a lot...may be too much help?
I mean people that paid for the Developer Connection really wants to develop in Mac. So they are at least people with some degree in development and can provide better feedback and bugs discovery than a crap user that just wants to try it out...right??

Anidel.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
and then n00bs who install it will complain to apple and blame them when something goes wrong and they lose some data or can't do something. yeah, great idea, make more of a hassle for apple.

anidel

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2003
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
and then n00bs who install it will complain to apple and blame them when something goes wrong and they lose some data or can't do something. yeah, great idea, make more of a hassle for apple.

It was not an idea...I was just wondering.

Anidel

Matrix9180

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2003
ACTUALLY
Whether or not this guy obtained that panther seed legally or not, I do not know... but I in fact do have an ADC membership and do legally have that same seed running right now, and it does in fact have a problem mounting / burning / doing anything with multi-part dmg files. And no, the seed notes say nothing about this problem at all. Do not jump to the conclusion that Apple holds everyone's hand and already knows everything about every bug that exists in a seed. You just make yourself look like a damn fool.

[Edit] My post is aimed at iJon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.