Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by IndyGopher
It does matter if people are downloading illegal copies of it, regardless of when it expires, because it's illegal. That's sorta how laws work.. it doesn't matter if you agree with them. By your argument, it is ok to kill you, because you are going to die anyway.
Most excellent response! Logic works ... except in the real world :-(

Also, I've found that Apple's betas, in general, have been much more solid than I would expect. I have noticed a few bugs here and there, but I haven't crashed. I run Panther for part of my day, each day, then I go back to Jag, so maybe the reboots improve my preceived stability. I'll tell you though, Panther is sweet.

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
It does matter if people are downloading illegal copies of it, regardless of when it expires, because it's illegal. That's sorta how laws work.. it doesn't matter if you agree with them. By your argument, it is ok to kill you, because you are going to die anyway.

I think software dies or upgrades only slightly faster then people die.

:rolleyes:

Vlade

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2003
Meadville, PA
Re: Panther Preview avaliable on the net - problems however!

Originally posted by zeethebrain
What i thought was stupid that Panther Preview was only avaliable to those who atteneded the WWDC, if we've paid to get these macs shouldn't we all be able to sample whats to come?

Because its in the BETA stages, apple doesn't want everyone to use a half finished product that kernel panics, they want the developers to help finish it, then release a finished version to the public. Plus developers pay thousands of dollars to join the ADC and attend the WWDC convention (speaking of which, does anyone wanna help me out there :p)

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
For those who are having troubles...

Originally posted by buseman
Thats an urban legend IMO. Except for maybe getting a harmless .DS_store, nothing else gets "modified" if you mount it before burning it.

Is incorrect. You can lock the images and mount them, which will prevent damage, but what's the point? You're only going to burn them anyway. If you mount without locking and then burn, you'll have useless copies.

Uncompress them using the Terminal or Stuffit. If you use Stuffit go into preferences and de-check the option to mount images once uncompressed.

Then use disk copy to burn the images to CD-RW's (lets protect the environment please), and you're away.

AppleMatt

mlsw

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2003

No, it's a terribly flawed analogy. First, copyright governs the distribution/re-distribution of a work for personal gain. Second, if I kill you, I have infinged upon your rights, I've taken away your /right/ to life. There is no harm in downloading a beta of Panther. I haven't taken Panther from Apple. I haven't taken it from the guy who upped it to me. No one died. No one lost any money. For the most part, the people downloading Panther are student developers who don't get seeds, and couldn't afford to get into WWDC. And I bet that 99% of the people will upgrade to the GM version when it is released.

That's sorta how laws work, they aren't black and white. You apply them on a case by case basis. There is no template for right or wrong, it's up for interpretation.

Effectively explain to me what harm is done by someone downloading a preview beta of Panther.

The only possible outcome that I see, is that a few hundred developers get to make sure their apps are compatible with 10.3. No trade secret argument will work, because the OS was distributed at WWDC, and is seeded to anyone with an ADC membership!

Are you from the RIAA? Lets compare filesharing to murder, yes that's perfect.

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I'm just curious how many of the users on MR actually buy Apple software....? I won't say that I've never tried out betas of different products, but I have paid for every major upgrade for the last 12 years. I wonder how many can say the same.

Owning a Mac does not entitle you to free updates when Apple spends millions on R&D.

Dan

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I really don't want this thread to degenerate into this debate again. In my opinion, people who are members of Mac Rumor sites have no place criticising people who have downloaded Apple beta software. Rumors do more damage to Apple that downloading their software (It could be argued that it is better, as more people provide feedback to Apple on bugs/improvements. I'm not saying I belive that, I'm just saying that it could be argued by some).

Originally posted by alset
I'm just curious how many of the users on MR actually buy Apple software....? I won't say that I've never tried out betas of different products, but I have paid for every major upgrade for the last 12 years. I wonder how many can say the same.

Eitherway, to answer your question alset/Dan, I always buy Apple software. I've got a little set aside ready to pre-order Panther aswell. As sad as it sounds, I quite like owning the boxed OS sets, and having the iLife/Keynote boxes all in a row on my shelf etc.

AppleMatt

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
the reason apple doesnt seed panther to everyone is because people like you will never learn how to burn them :)

iJon

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by iJon
the reason apple doesnt seed panther to everyone is because people like you will never learn how to burn them.

iJon

Sorry was that directed at me?

AppleMatt

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by AppleMatt
Sorry was that directed at me?

AppleMatt

I think it was directed at the thread starter.

Regarding the Rumors vs Beta thing.

Rumors aren't illegal.
Distributing copyrighted software w/o authorization is illegal.

Arbitrary line drawn by society? Perhaps.

Does pirating Betas hurt companies less than shipping products? Probably.

My Point? I don't know.

arn

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Reading the Panther Preview readme, you won't be able to upgrade Panther Preview to Panther final release without reformatting your hard drive. So if you are going to venture into that domain, be extra careful.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by arn
I think it was directed at the thread starter.

Regarding the Rumors vs Beta thing.

Rumors aren't illegal.
Distributing copyrighted software w/o authorization is illegal.

Arbitrary line drawn by society? Perhaps.

Does pirating Betas hurt companies less than shipping products? Probably.

My Point? I don't know.

arn

It's definately not an easy call, but just so you know, I wasn't knocking this site! And I agree distributing (and downloading?) their beta sw is definately illegal, it was more of an effort to stop the same argument firing up again.

AppleMatt

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
How does one lock a .dmg?

Also, to burn in Panther open up Disk Utility, click on restore, source = .dmg file, Destination = CD-R/RW. Personally I like the old Disk Copy App. Maybe when panther comes out I could use it from Jag? Could someone test the Jag Disk Copy in Panther?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.