Panther Problems --- Please help!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mmzplanet, Nov 4, 2004.

1. mmzplanet macrumors regular

mmzplanet

I have an iMac G4 1.25. (Which I love dearly) It has 10.3.5 Panther loaded on it and is fully updated. I have some random issues that I cannot sort out. I will explain each issue and what I have done to attempt resolution.

On all issues: I have run procedures to correct permissions and forced all daily-monthly maintenance to run. I forced to update all of the prebindings as well. I also ran a disk check to be sure that was ok.

1. Safari cannot load all sites. Especially if it is a secure (https) page. The browser will say the site does not exist. Is there anything additional I can try? The sites that dont open on Safari can be opened on IE. (But I hate MS and rather not use IE.)

2. Adobe applications lock up when attempting to print to my HP Deskjet 952C. I have reinstalled the printer queue and drivers and reinstalled all adobe applications and deleted the Abobe library folder before the reinstall. Other apps can print fine and Adobe can seem to only print to the fax queue. Any other ideas here?

I am I needing to resort to a backup (of settings and files) and reinstall the OS??? Panther was put in as an upgrade to 10.2 when I got it.

I know there is something else...when I remember I will add it in a reply.

2. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Safari does that fairly often for me. Have you tried reloading the page immediately after it doesn't work? It rarely fails for me the second time. If that's all it is, then it's annoying but livable. Some people never seem to get it while others get it intermittently. They fixed the problem in one of the Jaguar updates, but it came back in Panther. Oh well! :confused:

No idea on the cause, but maybe you can print to PDF and then print the PDF file from Preview?

3. Sammie macrumors newbie

I have the same problemos but since I started using Mozilla...most or all sites have worked fine.

With the locking stuff, I find it just keeps happening and even force quit isn't working. I have to manually reboot and start all over.

I was told to partition my hard drive to three. One for my operating system, one for applications, and a scratch disk. I have seen this at a school I went to before and it just makes sense. I havent partitioned but I will this weekend. :p

I assume the lockup is from the OS. After I started upgrading from 10.2. This all started happening and it looks like its the same thang.

4. mmzplanet thread starter macrumors regular

mmzplanet

I can Print PDF files out of Preview fine. But I cannot get Adobe Acrobat 6 Pro or Reader to print and PDF files. The printer icon never even comes up. Adobe photoshop prints fine. Problems with PDF v6 and a version Apple is using maybe? (since all jobs are converted to PDF's before printing) I will download Reader 5 and see what i get.

Even after the 10.3.6 update safari is hosed after accessing a secure site. i.e. https://issaic.saic.com or https://webmail.centcom.mil. I access both of these daily for work and mozilla is nice. I just like safari better (you can cmd-click on the bookmark bar and get a new tab, mozilla you cannot. Plus the built in google search). When you access a secure site I cannot go to any site until I quit Safari completely and reopen. Mozilla will solve most of my issues for now. But I want safari to work :(