panther programs won't launch

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Star, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Star macrumors newbie

Not long I upgraded to panther, I have had problems with all system software failing to launch. This includes mail, safari, address book, disk utility and software updater.

It has happened to both G4s in my office.

I erased the entire hard drive and reinstalled everything. For a few weeks this fixed the problem, then it returned, without me installing anything new that would have caused a new problem.

Sporadically the programs would start working again, and then fail to launch on restart of the computer.

PLEASE HELP!

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, I'd say fix permissions, but Disk utility not starting either kind of makes that a bit hard. I suggest booting from the Panther cd and running Disk Util. from there. You can't repair permissions from there though. Perhaps getting TechToolPro and running that could help.

3. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

permissions can be repaired from the console - if the terminal app doesn't launch, one can always boot straight into the command line interface.

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

that's what needs to be run. i had this non-launching-programs-issue myself not too long ago, but i think it was mainly because i loaded the system with 1000+ fonts and it quite crippled everything. now i have 500+ and system runs smoothly.

but repair permissions every once in a while, at least after every software update/install. but don't get paranoid, this is something you shouldn't have to do every day ;)

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Wrong - Permissions CAN be repaired on any Mac OS X boot volume that is being analyzed from another Mac OS X boot volume, such as the Mac OS X install CD. I had to do this once because I accidentally made the System folder inaccessible to myself (oops!) and I couldn't do much of ANYTHING afterward.

5. Star thread starter macrumors newbie

fixed!

Thankyou for your help! It was the fonts. I work in pre-press and design, so have to load a lot of fonts for all my different jobs. I was not aware there was a limit on this. I removed half of them and all my programs work again. The permissions were not an issue with this problem, I had already run them from the disk, to no avail. It was indeed the fonts :)

6. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Okay okay, calm down. Everyone makes mistakes :rolleyes: