Panther quartz extreme 2 speculation + video?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AppleMatt, Jun 13, 2003.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Hi all,

I was poking around the Apple jobs site and within a video found something quite cool, so I extracted it and stuck it here:

http://homepage.mac.com/matt.peacock/FileSharing1.html

It's 182k, but if you watch it you will see some very cool effects.

Now I realise this is done in a perspective away from the screen, but does anyone think that these kind of effects could be coming in a future version of X?

Also, whats peoples opinion on quartz extreme in Panther, will it just push more tasks onto the GPU speeding up UI etc, or are we going to get more eye candy?

AppleMatt

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

doesnt look that exciting, just looks like a bunch of files flying around.

iJon

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Panther quartz extreme 2 speculation + video?

No admittedly I don't know a lot abuot quartz extreme and how it works, but isn't the point of it to offload all of the graphics work onto the GPU already. I don't know that there is anything else to put onto the GPU. I'm sure there are improvements to make, and more eye candy they'll add, but I doubt you'll see anything really new in the quartz extreme area.

And I doubt we'll see effects like that in panther. Seems like just a demo video thats meant t look cool. There's no practicality to any of it.

4. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

thats a developer video, probably from 10.0 beta, that basically shows that OS X's quartz uses layers on screen.

Ive seen it months ago, its nothing new... actually i think i saw it before jaguar and people were speculating about it.

5. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

I do wonder how long it will be until apple uses OpenGL to create more of a spacial interface, instead of a cliche'd "desktop" one.

It's built in, seems like they should do something "revolutionary" with it.

6. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Note that the X in the background of the first shot is the old "Aqua" style.

'nuff said.

7. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Re: Re: Panther quartz extreme 2 speculation + video?

A lot still isn't, for example the dock and window resizing, run your mouse over the dock with CPU monitor on.

Is there any practicality to the genie effect? Or dock magnification?

You are all missing the point, I KNOW this is an old video, and I KNOW these effects won't come in 10.3, what I'm asking is do people have any ideas of what 10.3 will bring eye candy wise? Do people think Apple will push more onto the GPU? Or do people think Quartz Extreme will be left alone?

AppleMatt

8. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

This kind of reply is exactly what I mean.

AppleMatt

9. dstorey macrumors 6502a

I don't know too much about games, especially pc games, so don't shoot me if I get this wront but don't theyeither gert programmed to use DirectX or Open GL in windows? I rember open gl get banded around a few years ago in technology gaming mags like Edge. Wouldn't it be great if they could take the open gl built into OS X and do something like direct x in the windows world to help the development of games. I dunno if this is possible or what it already does but it just doesn't seem to be promoted as much like x is for windows for games development.