Panther Screenshots

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by TigerPRO, Feb 17, 2004.

1. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I like showing off the Mac OS X interface; especially to those who don't think it's any good (PC users). Here's a screenshot I took to try and persuade them that Macintosh is all powerful. I'd like to see what anyone else can come up with. Post your cool screenshot.

http://ee.domaindlx.com/frogpro/

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

3. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

Cool!

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

heh why not use snapz pro to do a movie of the expose thing? and all the other things you can do with mac os x you cant do with windows.

5. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

That would be cool, but I don't have the program. Oh well.

6. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

http://planetmirror.com/pub/macgamefiles/ambrosia/SnapzProX/SnapzProX2.dmg
    It's a full 30 day trial, after that it puts things over your images/movies (well that was what it did in the original Snapz Pro X anyway).

How would it look if you had a bunch of semi-minimized windows? The method to make one is as follows (this was on MacBytes a while ago):

1. In Terminal, type "killall Dock", but don't execute it
    2. Minimize a non-Terminal window in slow motion (holding down shift key)
    3. Execute the command while the window is minimizing.

7. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I once saw a quicktime someone had made showing off how fast the G5 could open all the apps in the dock--it took about 10 seconds. They made an applescript to launch the apps and then recorded it in real time. Truly phenomenal--but unfortunately I can't find the site again.

8. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

There's a program called "Window Funnel" that does the same thing. It was pretty cool.

9. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Why do you post that here man ? I mean we are all OS X users ?

10. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

My iMac would most def. die a horrible death if i tried that :)

11. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a 1Ghz iMac and I tried that once.

http://ee.domaindlx.com/frogpro/limits.htm

It was when I first got a Mac that I decided to see how it would handle an overload. Usually on a PC, too many things happening at the same time is enough to freeze the system. But with the excellent kernel handling of Mac OS X, I was able to do this without bringing down the OS. Of course it was slow, but it didn't come close to dying.

This was done when I only had 256MB of RAM!

12. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Nah, you just need to be (very!) patient :eek: :p :p :cool:

And BTW CmdrLaForge, I don't think everybody here uses OS X; there's probably some OS9, OS8, and OMG, System 7 and below :eek:. Maybe they need some nudging too ;) :p

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    when i first came to this forum i wasnt on x i was on 9 as well as other flavors of mac os and flavors of windoze, so im sure other ppl surfing the boards will find a video showing what os x can do informative and may convince them that maybe this os is the way to go

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I had the Finder plus around 25 other programs open (including iDVD, Photoshop Elements, FCE, iMovie, etc). It shows that it is one stable and good OS when my complicated GarageBand piece could still play in its entirety without breaking up and iTunes was playing stutter-free at exactly the same time. I only have 768MB RAM. Ok, so the interface was a little slow, but iDVD was rendering a theme in real-time and everything else was working properly. Pretty good I think. (I didn't bother with a screenshot).

Might have to see what happens when I try that on our Dell at home. I wonder if Windows XP home edition can handle it.

15. maxpayne.co.uk macrumors member

Even on my college's 1Ghz 512MB eMacs, we were importing from a DV camera and loaded just about every program you could see. The final video stuttered a bit, but imagine doing that on a 1Ghz Windows machine! :D

16. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I opened all of those programs at once on my PowerBook with iTunes playing in the background with the visualizer set on large and it didn't once stutter as everything opened all at once. It wasn't that slow, either, the only app that slowed down was Photoshop, which resulted in a beachball for a few moments, but besides that, everything else just popped open within a matter of seconds. If this is what is done on a G4 with only 512 megs RAM, I can't imagine how smooth adding another gig or having a dual processor setup would do.

17. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

Here's a thread about the same thing with screenshots.. TigerPRO, you should enjoy that.

18. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

Very cool, thanks! What's even more amazing about those windows is that you can actually interact with them normally!

19. HexMonkey Administrator

HexMonkey

Staff Member

Well, sort of. Unfortunately Apple probably didn't expect peope to be doing this so the Window Manager doesn't handle things in the correction location, but it is still nice that it works a bit.
    When a window is like this and the clicking areas for a control are off the window, you can't use them, so I decided against permanantly using these windows. :D

20. hob macrumors 68020

hob

grrrr... i'm going crazy with jealousy!! I have a G3 900MHz with only 256MB ram and it stutters a little with things like this - although, to Apple's credit - nothing crashes!!

Think it's time i demand an iBook upgrade!!

Hob

21. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    iBook

What about an iBook G4?!?!? LOL

My WinXp (UGH! I know, but my PB is really my schools, i j like to claim it) is stuttering printing a thread, running AIM, MSN, Y!IM, IE, HotSync, PcCillin, and Quicktime. That's not much compared to normal for me.

P.S. most of those are j in the sys tray- dont freak.

22. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Am I mad? Perhaps.

Attached Files:

• wow.jpg
      wow.jpg
      File size:
      95.7 KB
      Views:
  23. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If you want mad, try running 6 screen savers superimposed onto a 3D cube running as your Finder background while running every app in your Applications folder. :D

24. TigerPRO thread starter macrumors 6502

I've used that screensaver, it was enough to slow the system to a halt; let alone every app on my system (Over 500). Maybe you can let us know how it works on your PowerBook G5??

25. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Not much luck ;) I get maybe 7-12 frames per second on the screen saver and it gets pretty stuttery systemwide when I do it. Maybe someday when we have a quantum core G7 with a Radeon 15000 XT it will be smooth as butter.