Panther + second (160GB) drive problems

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Toad, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Toad macrumors newbie

I have installed Panther on my G4/450/AGP and it works fine.

Now I connected a Maxtor 160GB / 8MB cache / 7200 RPM hard drive as a slave to my ATA bus.

On bootup, the OS told me I needed to eject or initialize the disk (fine, I assume it was formatted for windows, ok to erase)

I start Disk Utility and it reports seeing a 31.5GB Maxtor 6Y160P0 which is significantly smaller than the 160GB the drive actually is.

Drive Utility can format it ok, and mount it and I can see it on my desktop, but only 31.5 GB of it.

Am I missing something obvious here ? Is Panther unable to address/see larger hard drives ? Can I not use a standard ATA drive from the store, does it have to be a Macintosh specific one ?

I have read reports elsewhere about Panther having problems (corrupting disks) >137GB but I think that was just external firewire drives, mine is an internal ATA drive.

Any pointers, advice would be very much appreciated. I want to use the disk for video editing, so the bigger the better....

Thanks
    Toad

2. Toad thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

I downgraded back to Jaguar and that OS sees the drive as a 130GB drive (hey its not the 160GB I bought, but better than Panther)

This voodoo is almost Windows like...

:confused:

3. Bear macrumors G3

The maximum size drive your Powermac can see on the built-in ATA controllers is about 130GB. The MDD G4s were the first to be able to use larger drives on the internal ATA controllers.

Your drive capacity will be fully usable with an add on ATA controller (ATA 100 or later) or in an external firewire enclosure.

4. Toad thread starter macrumors newbie