Panther security at work

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by 512ke, Feb 17, 2004.

1. 512ke macrumors 6502a

Sep 10, 2003
    Hi. Could anyone who knows more than I do about Panther security (which probably includes everyone here) help me?

I have been set up with a mac running panther at work on a network. I would like to keep certain files private. However, everything I save to the hard drive or desktop at work gets automatically backed up to another computer.

I am the "administrator" of the computer I use. Is there a way for me to use files for instance from my ipod or idisk and have them not visible to the network? What about Safari? If I check my mac email via Safari, will the network be able to see my password and read my emails?

Thank you in advance for sharing your expertise.
  2. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    If it is your personal computer I doubt the company can do any monitoring. The machines they monitor usually have a piece of software on them that allows everything to be backed up to the central server. It is highly unlikely that your personal machine would have this software. If it is a machine belonging to your work/business I doubt there is anything you could do. Businesses usually keep track of employee computer data to make sure they're not goofing off and actually getting work done.
  3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    Anything sent via your work's network that is not encrypted can be intercepted and interpreted by a knowledgable enough person.