Panther still causing me trouble

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by rebecka, May 2, 2004.

1. rebecka macrumors newbie

I tried to uppgrade to Panther that did not work so I made a clean install. That did not work so I put panter on a different harddrive. Now it's still crashing on me

I'm thinking maybe it could be my computer I have Power PC G4 350 Mhz

I feel lost.

would apprechiate help

2. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

Could I have a bit more detail please

You said that upgrading wouldn't work, as in it wouldn't load at all or the installation messed up at the end?

By the way I don't recall a 350Mhz G4, sorry, maybe there was one but I can't remember

I'm sure that it is something simple, you might have hardware that is annoying the OS

I can't be sure at this point :confused:

3. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

the original Power Macintosh G4 (AGP Graphics)

rebecka what kinda crashes?

4. rebecka thread starter macrumors newbie

HI thankyou for answering

When i Installed the uppgrade the computer started freezing. It would freeze in different programs at different times. So I decided to do a clean install. Same thing happened. Freezing

Now I installed it on a different harddrive but I still have the freezing problem :(

Did that help at all

thanks

5. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I'm very sorry to hear you're having this problem. I'm sure it must be quite frustrating.

Did this never happen with your previous OS (presumably Jaguar)? I ask because it kind of sounds like a hardware problem. A cleanly installed OS should be relatively-error free, which by process of elimination suggests that the trouble is with the hardware, in some way. Did this trouble arise immediately after the clean install or only after you added some other applications? Finally, have you tried creating another user and logging in as that user? Does the same trouble recur?

I would recommend that with a problem as serious as this that you ask at Apple's support site discussion forum.

6. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

I agree sounds like a hardware problem, probably logic board or ram.. you might reset the PMU and get a new internal battery. just some thoughts... sorry it is late.

7. jamesbase macrumors newbie

I am experiencing the same

Hi Rebecca,
    I just subscribed to rumors today, but wanted to mention that I also
    have been having my G4 AGP 450 freeze up on me quite often. THe screen locks up and I have to force restart using the restart button on the front of the case. The G4 I am using has 2 Ultra Wide SCSI drives that I have updated the firmware to. My feeling is that it is a SCSI hardware problem, but wanted to determine if others had this problem and a solution?

Thanks
    James

8. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Does your motherboard have built-in USB?
    It's required.