Panther teething problems

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by zzzuppp, Oct 19, 2004.

1. zzzuppp macrumors member

Just upgraded to Panther the other day.So far,so good except for...
    1) MS Word keeps crashing..it worked fine on 10.1.5.What's more it loses everything that's been saved on it each time.Can anyone help? And while we're on it,doesn't Apple have something to rival Word?
    2) My photos won't open in the screensaver from my Home Pictures folder.It keeps saying 'This folder contains no photos'.I copied some to iPhoto and they work from there...? They're nearly all jpegs;I made sure I kept to one format for the Pics folder.
    3) Can anyone explain how I set up my Hotmail a/c to work through Mail,in easy language? Where can I discover my 'incoming mail server' and 'outgoing m.s.'? Someone trashed Mail on my old OS so I've never used it.
    4) I have a download accelerator (Dap) in my Apps,but Safari ignores it-any ideas? Mind you,Safari's DL speed seems pretty impressive..

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

1) What version Word? Classic, X or 2004. TextEdit does a good job of simple word-processing -- it can spell-check and save .doc files...

3) Mail & Hotmail.
    "Mail works with the following account types: POP, IMAP, .Mac, and Exchange (only if configured as an IMAP server). You can't log in directly to Hotmail, AOL, or any service that does not support POP or IMAP access, and retrieve email using Mail."

From Mail Help.

Read the manual :)

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Except the manual is wrong. There are plugins that let you check your hotmail account that can be found on VersionTracker. Also, AOL Mail is now compatible with external mail clients using IMAP.

4. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

httpmail from versiontracker.com is an awesome plugin to get hotmail accounts on your Mail.app; I've used it for over 6 months without a hicup.

5. zzzuppp thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, chaps.
    I know about Textedit,but it is a little basic for our needs.Word-'tis the X version.
    I had a hunch Hotmail didn't do the hokey-cokey with Mail,but thanks for the tip-off re Versiontracker...another Download :rolleyes:
    Another question- 5) my Norton Antivirus isn't showing its logo in the Toolbar at the very top of the screen any more-it did in the old OS.Does this mean it isn't on autopilot? I can't see an instruction in its manual (I do read some,y'know).Did I ought to reinstall it? it's still there in the Apps...

6. rand() macrumors regular

I think there are probably a number of people on this forum who are going to tell you to ditch Norton entirely. It's practically useless on OS X, and many have reported that it actually makes their systems less stable. I don't want to say that viruses simply aren't something we worry about on the Mac, but... well.... there just aren't very many of them out there, y'see... and.. uh... right.

As for Word, I've got two suggestions; run a repair permissions (using Disk Utility in the Apps->Utilities folder), and if that doesn't do it, give it a re-install. One of those should clean it up for you.

-rand()

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I thought we convinced you in the forums at MacOSXHints to do an archive and install? That would necessitate the reinstallation of down-speed-"enhancements" and AV software.

9. Colonel Panik macrumors regular

Does it still work for you? Didn't Microsoft change the configuration so that even on Outlook Express on Windows you can't check your hotmail accounts.

I believe they changed it at the start of October...

Edit:
    Hmm, obviously not. I couldn't connect for the first 15 days in October, and figured it must be that. Oh well. Now I can connect again. Heads up to Daniel for an excellent plug-in.

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I believe that's correct.

11. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

Yup, it no longer works for me. :( Now if they were only so fast at doing the 250MB mailbox upgrade.

12. zzzuppp thread starter macrumors member

I did do Archive /Install...so are you saying I need to reinstall Norton(I paid for the damn thing,it gives the appearance of protection at least :D),and Word,and would I need to reinstall Toast,say?
    So far as repairing Word thru Disc utility goes,can you talk me through the procedure? When I click on it,I just get the image of the HD up.I don't want to do anything stupid,I've done enough damage round here :D

13. zzzuppp thread starter macrumors member

Um,could anybody answer my last post for me? Thanks! :)

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Repairing permission or disk is solely limited to the root disk. There's no such beast as "repairing an app". You should reinstall any app that required a kernel extension. Basically if the app doesn't run, you should probably reinstall it.

15. King Cobra macrumors 603

Man, I was going to whip out the newb siren, but decided to save it for later, since some people do have those problems in the end anyways. Before reinstalling, you need to troubleshoot it. Some mid-level tips:

If it's not opening, try deleting its preferences, for example. If that doesn't work, restart your computer. Don't compete for uptime. If that fails, then see if information about the issue has been posted online.

If it's crashing a lot, then see if it's at random instances or only when you do something pretty specific, and that you can narrow the cause down somewhat. If you can, then avoid the problem (if possible), or do further trial and error. If not, then the application itself might be faulty.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If this is an Archive and Install and the 3rd party apps aren't working, IMO it's much more likely that there's something that should have been installed that was moved with the archived system, then a suddenly-corrupt preference file.

Of course, I've seen 2 sides of the OP, since he started this adventure at another Forum I happen to populate.

17. zzzuppp thread starter macrumors member

Thank you people.Yes,Yellow, I did an Archive and Install as recommended by yourself and several others.Latest problem-Toast(5.1.2 Titanium)won't open.I reinstalled it,restarted the computer,nothing.I double-click on the icon and... nothing.Oddly,Spin Doctor DOES open.Both worked fine on old 10.1.5.I could really use some help with this.
    Word quits sporadically,usually when having lots to cope with.All the other things I've installed are fine,except I'm not sure about Norton.Can someone tell me in plain English whether or not I need to reinstall it?.
    Yes I do frequent other forums and counsel expert opinion where it is available.I wasn't aware that there was anything inherently wrong with that and I give credit and thanks where it's due. :)

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I believe that's because you have to update Toast to a version that works with Panther, namely 5.2.3.

IMO, you should reinstall Norton. It scatters junk all over the place in order to "work".

19. zzzuppp thread starter macrumors member

Just checked with Roxio and apparently Toast 5.x works with Panther :confused:

20. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I guess you'll have to get support directly from Roxio for that then..

There's no harm in applying the updates.