Panther thinks I have another firewall running!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by totally_fly, Nov 4, 2003.

1. totally_fly macrumors member

Nov 12, 2002
    I get the following message when I load the firewall tab in the Sharing preference pane.

Other firewall software is running on this computer.
    To change the Apple firewall settings, turn off the other firewall software.

I updated using the Archive and Install option and have not installed anything new on my system. I also do not have any firewall applications installed (10.2.8 firewall worked)! I am deeply confused by this message! Does anyone know how I can find out what System Prefs thinks is my firewall and how to kill it!??
  2. totally_fly thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2002
    I really would love to get this working sometime soon! Anyone have a clue?
  3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I went through this when I did an Upgrade installation. I subsequently did an Archive and Install installation and everything was fine.

You might do a second Archive and Install or an Upgrade. Either way, it should see something to be changed.
  4. zroll1 macrumors newbie

Nov 1, 2003
    All you need to do is go to the terminal and type in "sudo ipfw flush". That's it. You should be able to use your firewall.
  5. Goblin2099 macrumors member

Jul 18, 2002
    New York City
    As an alternative to reinstalling Panther or using terminal, just delete Library -> Preferences -> and reboot. Friend of mine had this problem, I saw this suggestion on MacFixIt.
  6. totally_fly thread starter macrumors member

Nov 12, 2002
    Wow thank you very much! Terminal was fast and easy .. i'll try to remember that one!