Panther to Tiger 10.4....Best Install????

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zagato27, Aug 7, 2005.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

Well, finally took the plunge and ordered a copy of Tiger 10.4 for install on my G5 (1.6 w/ 1.2g ram). I've heard that the "best" install is a clean, ie wipe the hard drive and go from there. Well, I've got profiles for the whole family plus internet connection info and programs, photos, music etc. that I don't want to have to go back and redo. Just too painfull to do that. Well, yeah there is the lazy portion of that too :rolleyes: . So what do you recommend? Thanks in advance. Also, any other tips prior to install? Cheers

2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

if you had an external hard drive you could just dump all your photos, music, videos and docs onto that... after the erase and install you would just re-import that stuff back again... the most clean way to do an install of an os.. is to boot from the os x cd and choose disk utility and then format your drive via the "write random zero's option".. if that's too much trouble.. doing a simple upgrade should be no problem anyway.. i would still back up your stuff just in case...

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you want a clean install of your System files without the hassle of reconfiguring your users or reinstalling your software, do an archive and install, with the caveat that you should have your stuff backed up in any case.

It might be worthwhile booting from your current Restore CD and repairing the HD just in case there are any dodgy sectors and then boot from your HD again and repair permissions just to check all is well before you start.

You select Archive and Install from the Options button when you install and make sure the 'Keep Users and Applications' option is checked.

What an A&I does is basically a clean install of your system folder before it copies across the user details and applications settings from your old install. It then dumps all your old 'system' information into the 'Previous Systems' folder on your HD. This takes up about 2.5GB and once you've run for a while and confirmed that all is working OK, you can delete this. The only thing you might need out of it is the Adobe Unit Types file if you use Photoshop etc which for some reason isn't carried over during an A&I

4. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Ok, if I do the A&I that will save all the applications/programs; user profiles; passwords; photos; music....everything? It will then do a "clean" install of the actual OS. Sounds good.

As to the use of the restore CD and booting. Boot from restore CD so that it will repair any bad sectors on HD then do a system repair. Shut down and do a A&I of Tiger. Sounds like I'll have to rummage through my old disks. Hope I've got that right. Please forgive, I need a bit of hand holding here as I'm not the geek that some are. Thks Applespider....thinking of SF? Would that be San Francisco, USA? Very nice in "The City". Unfortunately last time I was there an earthquake was visiting :eek: Cheers

5. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I believe so...?

But, the "archive" and "install' part happen all in one, so you don't need to the do a clean install separately.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

If you can't find the discs I wouldn't worry too much about this. Just repair permissions and then A&I. I was being slightly anal when I did mine with a repair HD - and it's repair HD, not restore that you want to use!

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Archive/Install is really a great feature. Since Jaguar (10.2) I've done several and it's both time-saving and efficient and will preserve your user files. I'm looking to upgrade to Tiger shortly, and will plan on A&I as you mention.
    X

8. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Tiger install failed, once, twice Help

Well, tried to do a A&I install and everything went well EXCEPT could not install due to error on HD. Sooooo, I used the utilities on the install disk for disk repair. Went ok until it encountered one problem, something like HF error, tried to correct but unable. I tried this again but did the verify permissions and also the repair permissions then install and the same problem. :( Arrrrrgh. I almost did the "upgrade" install but chickened out at the last minute thinking that if it too didn't work I'd really be sunk. Anyone offer me some advice? Actually advice and kind words would be nice. Cheers

9. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

I'm not sure that this will make any difference but am using a Macally "icekey" keyboard, Logitech MX1000 mouse, Canon i560 printer. Thanks again.

10. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I did an erase & install. Just think it this way: If you encounter a problem afterwards, you will always have the question in your mind: "if I did a clean install, would things get better?".

I never had a problem with my install. Others had. And those people were the ones that hadn't followed my piece of advice.

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

An A&I takes 40 minutes. To do a clean install takes about the same for the install plus most of a day to re-install all the non-Apple apps, re-install iLife and download all the updates, some time to figure out how to import your old Panther mail into new Tiger mail format, working out exactly how many files you need to recreate Address Book and iCal exactly, multiple reboots etc and all I wanted to do was play with my new OS!

I decided to do the A&I since if there were problems later, I could always write off that 40 minutes and do a clean install.

12. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I think it's recommended to unplug all 3rd party peripherals when upgrading/installing Mac OS X. Those may cause problems. If you have the original keyboard and mouse connect those for the installation process and disconnect any printers, external hard drives etc.